What's new

Hafted scrapper or blunt?

67GTA

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
254
Reaction score
323
Golden Thread
0
Location
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this while detecting a colonial site in south central KY. Don't know a lot about Native American artifacts. I was told it might be either scrapper or blunt arrowhead. How do you even start to identify something like this?
20191210_211029.webp
 
Upvote 0
Simple. Look at it from the side. Knife edge = knife ; scraper edge = scraper.
 
It probably started out as something else, knife maybe and eventually after resharpenings became that shaped tool.
 
I'd say it's either a halfted scraper or halfted blade. Was likely much larger at one time like the others have suggested.

I don't believe in what some call blunts or stunners.
 
100% a hafted scraper and a nice one. Probably Archaic. Where there’s one there’s more. Nice find. I’ve found lots of these in Kentucky.
 
This is close to Barren river lake in Glasgow, KY. The lake is man made, but there was a lot of activity where I hunt next to the river. Natives, colonial, and civil war. You can fill your pockets with them when the water is down in the winter. You have to be careful about property lines because it is a state park. I'm guessing a scrapper because there is a curve to it.
20191211_094221.webp
 
It is a hafted scraper. As others have said, it likely started out as a larger piece and was worked down to this with repairs/resharpenings.
 
Quito" said:
I don't believe in what some call blunts or stunners

Name/interpretation problem here. There were hafted strike-a-lights. They look like that but have thick, blunted, battered edges from (people say) being struck using pyrites to create sparks -- pre-mechanical flintlock principle there.

FWIW
 
Seen that as a bird point somewhere, , nice one, whatever it was for
 
scrapper is crapper. Scraper is greater.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom