Hahahaha......gotten off ebay....and im new

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To start this off i must say that i am completly new and have never done any panning before but would like to.

Well I bought a cheap 1 lb bag of "concentrates" on ebay, but i didnt read the listing very well....this is what it says.....i know not to link an ebay linky =P

.................I am offering 1 pound of some of my favorite paydirt. This is not paydirt from a creek but is from a dig site in the Rowan county/Gold Hill area of North Carolina. It will challenge even the most seasoned of gold panners.

A little about the paydirt itself. It is dug from a pit mine/tunnels that not many know about. The gold is mostly in clay. Because it is difficult to bust up the clay, we process it with the rocks in a mixer. The rocks crush up the clay and release the gold. The resulting mixture is busted clay, rocks, black sand, and of course gold. Our sample pans showed a nugget, some flakes, and dust mostly from this dig, but be sure and watch for specimens too!

You may ask why we go to so much trouble. That is a very sensible question. Well, the resulting mixture is worth it. The nuggets and flakes are chunky. They haven't been beaten flat while bouncing down a creek. You also have a better chance of finding specimens that have the gold still imbedded in the original rock.

I classified everything down to about 1/2 inch. If you have any questions, please email me before bidding. I will do whatever I can to help you out. Please remember, this paydirt has clay in it. Gold likes to hide in clay so you have to be sure and bust any small clay balls. I have busted most of the clay up, but don't let any of your gold get away!.................

Needless to say i found it extremly difficult to pan and havnt even made it halfway through the bag. Yet on the second panful i decided to use the back part of my pan somewhat like a dredge, and it worked out well for me.......found a nice little picker.....to be honest i expected to find nothing, but im quite happy =)

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D well mine doesnt have clay!!!But thats good for ya!I will tell you how I deal with clay,I either dry it in the sun and crumble it up adding some flow sand before panning it or I add a liberal amount of dish soap and let it soak at least overnight,this will usually break it up.Clay will allow gold to stick to it and will "ROB", ya,the old timers called the clay balls "Sluice Robbers",because it would roll down picking up and taking gold.

OP
OP
alpha105

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont worry im still debating on picking urs up and getting the money together. I think the worst part of this stuff was the rocks......lots and lots of rocks and crystals

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not pressuring you.I am not one of the big guys selling these to make profit,the little bit I make goes to dredge gas. :thumbsup:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What did the bag of dirt cost? (including shipping)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions