Half Hunting Update

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added 12 more 40% to my stash today. It took a lot of work today, but I got some results. I had the day off work and went on a road trip to about 40 banks outside of my area. That resulted in 3 40%'ers. I then went to pick up two boxes of halves that came in for me today. The first box produced 9 40%'ers and the second box was a skunk. I also had a skunk box yesterday. Today's box was my best box so far. In the last three weeks I have gone through about 9 boxes of MWR and all of the others have either been skunks or produced one 40%er each.

I'm still trying to figure out if boxes or asking random banks works better for me. For the time being, I'm just going to keep doing both. All in all I'm pleased with my first three weeks of CRH'ing. My totals are 1-64 half, 1-90% quarter, 28-40% halves. It's definitely interesting how the silver comes in streaks. I've definitely put a ton of effort into this and some days it's great and other days it's not so great. I'm totally hooked on the thrill of finding silver for face value.

Here's today's Haul:

today.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I think I got lucky. I got $300 dollars in MWR quarters from a bank and found it. The next day I got a box of quarters from a different bank (different armored car service) and got skunked. I still may try more quarters from the other supplier to see if I am onto something.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: No silver today. I stopped at about 25 banks and probably got about $100 worth of halves in my travels. They were all clad. At the end of the day I bought a box of quarters to go through and they were a skunk. I still like the idea of quarters, though. They are super easy to pickup, super easy to check and super easy to dump without miscounts.

Wasn't a total loss for the day. I opened a new account that is giving me $150 through an offer. They are ordering 3 boxes of halves for me to start and said they would order an unlimited number for me. I stopped by one of their other branches later in the day and they actually had $50 in MWR halves and said they get them in occassionally and would be more than happy to order me boxes, so this bank seems like a good thing. I also ordered two more boxes for next week from one of my normal pickup banks. I've been rotating pickup and dump banks since I'm just starting out and don't want to cause any issues early on. Luckily, I live in an area that has literally hundreds of banks within 20 miles of my doorstep.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I like searching quarters, since it is fast. However, they rarely produce. I think you should continue random bank stops and boxes. With boxes, you won't get a solid roll, but you don't waste as much gas as you do with random bank stops.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like searching quarters, since it is fast. However, they rarely produce. I think you should continue random bank stops and boxes. With boxes, you won't get a solid roll, but you don't waste as much gas as you do with random bank stops.

That makes sense. I've still been doing both. This week was pretty rough. I got five boxes of halves this week: The 1st box had 2-40%ers. The last four boxes were all skunks. Today I got 2 boxes of dimes and an additional $200 MWR of dimes. I ended up with two rosies in the one box and the rest were skunks.
I did find a sweet dump bank this week though. It's like the holy grail of dump banks. They do coin counting for free WITHOUT AN ACCOUNT. The machine has an unquenchable thirst for halves. I dumped $1007 in halves in one of them today with no bag change, no jams, and all smiles from the tellers. I opened an account with them anyway because they gave me $20 to do it. Unfortunately they only have a few branches. I wish this chain of banks would mate with TD and make a race of super-dump banks.:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread