What's new

Halfbit RR track coin

IronSpike

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a quick hunt this morning found a 'halfbit' RR track coin :D

Question is how was this 'flat' cut? With pliers/mover or ???
 

Attachments

  • Picture 180.webp
    Picture 180.webp
    23 KB · Views: 301
  • Picture 181.webp
    Picture 181.webp
    26 KB · Views: 317
Great question I.S ! Yeah I'm 90 percent tin snips friend. See the little "dot like" impressions on the side of the cuts? That's indigenous of tin snip cuts......Cheers friend....You must of had a real early morning hunt
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the ID 4-H :icon_thumright: Who would cut a RR flat with tin snips :dontknow:

Just a quick 20 minutes hunt in office complex :wink:
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
Great question I.S ! Yeah I'm 90 percent tin snips friend. See the little "dot like" impressions on the side of the cuts? That's indigenous of tin snip cuts......Cheers friend....You must of had a real early morning hunt
I agree. Also, if you've ever tried to cut something thick with tin snips, you'll find it difficult to cut all the way through and will start to cut from the other side. It has to do with how far back into the snips you can get and leverage.
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Years ago there were counterfeiters that use to flatten out coins and cut them so they could get more than 8 bits out of them. It was real common in Mexico in the 1700s. Not saying that's what it is, just a wag. Monty
 
Upvote 0
intimer said:
maybe not a coin. what ever was cut away was used for something

You may be right about whether it's a coin. Have found many flats track coins this location, but I may be wrong on that ID. I'll try to clean it some and test the metal. Maybe it's a pull tab :D

Added: It's aluminum cut with tin snips. Appear to be blank so most likely not a token either.
 
Upvote 0
Aluminum rules out a "bit" coin. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom