halfdime rescues 180 year old ancestor (on his mothers side)!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
halfdime rescues 180 year old ancestor (on his mother's side)!

An older lady I work for has been very kind and generous; in addition to monetary compensation for my efforts, she's occasionally helpful with information. We live in an old town, with old signs of civilization all around us, and you know what that means... ;D. She turned me on to a site that I visited after work this morning; it's actually a spot where a church once stood and where she got married! Her family still has an ownership stake in the site, so permission was easy to get! I drove out to the site and started getting equipment out of the truck when I realized that I'd left my digging shovel in Miss halfdime's baseball equipment bag >:(. Fortunately, I had another hand tool to dig with and it worked well enough; not as efficiently as my shovel, but okay. Anyway, my first decent signal fluctuated from penny to dime to quarter, so I was optimistic about what I might unearth. My reward for digging, you ask? How about an 1829 half dime! At first, seeing the tiny disk in the dirt, I thought maybe I had a three cent piece (finally). Now, since it doesn't actually say "half dime" on it, I'll have to consider that it comes down to me from my mother's side of the family :wink:. This is my fourth half dime; the first three were all Seateds. It's also my second Bust coin, the first being an 1831 half dollar. It also becomes my earliest United States coin, though I have a Colonial copper and a 1786 half reale to my credit. Almost forgotten in the excitement of another half dime was an 1882 Indian head (which I neglected to photograph); any other day, that would have been the headliner. You can bet I'll be going back to do some more searching!

Attachments

• bust5c 001 (Small).jpg
    bust5c 001 (Small).jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 992
  • bust5c 002 (Small).jpg
    bust5c 002 (Small).jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 992
Upvote 0
Re: halfdime rescues 180 year old ancestor (on his mother's side)!

That is a fantastic find! Congratulations. :headbang:

Great story and awesome find :icon_thumleft:

Awesome find! got to love it when the pieces all come togther. Congrats on a sweet find and 1 of ur oldest US coins :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice coin :icon_thumleft:

Congrats :thumbsup: Can you tell which type it is? I see that there are 18 varieties.

HH Charlie

Nice find. I'd love to find one of those :icon_sunny:

savant365 said:
Congrats :thumbsup: Can you tell which type it is? I see that there are 18 varieties.

HH Charlie
I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. This is a Liberty Cap half dime, aka "Bust" on our site; my reference book doesn't list any varieties for 1829 (the first year for this type).

halfdime said:
savant365 said:

HH Charlie
I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. This is a Liberty Cap half dime, aka "Bust" on our site; my reference book doesn't list any varieties for 1829 (the first year for this type).

I saw it on the pcgs site

http://www.coinfacts.com/half_dimes/capped_bust_half_dimes/1829_half_dime_varieties.htm

savant365 said:
halfdime said:
savant365 said:

HH Charlie

I saw it on the pcgs site

http://www.coinfacts.com/half_dimes/capped_bust_half_dimes/1829_half_dime_varieties.htm
I'll have to check that out; meanwhile, here are some more pictures.

Attachments

• bustback (Small).jpg
    bustback (Small).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 884
  • bustfront (Small).jpg
    bustfront (Small).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 885

Great looking find :thumbsup:

Congrats :headbang:

SS.

I checked that link; there are multiple varieties! Now we need an expert to explain them.

Yeah - I know that variety. It was named after most of the people reading your post. Variety- NVS :laughing7:

Awesome coin!

Surprman

Super nice coin and a great story halfdime :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats

G1

That is a real beauty! Nice going on the old silver. Most of the time the early Large Cents come first, but you bucked the system!

Nice one. That would make anyones day right there. Congrats.....jgas

Neil in West Jersey said:
That is a real beauty! Nice going on the old silver. Most of the time the early Large Cents come first, but you bucked the system!
Yeah, all my Large Cents are 1840 forward; I don't mind finding earlier silver!

Wow, that is one spectacular coin. Definatly on my dream list. I am pondering tho, you say it rang up on your machine in the penny --> quarter range. I have dug 2 half dimes and neither were anywhere close to that. They both rang up on my Etrac right where a zinc penny comes in. (12-37 compared to 12-44 for a copper penny and 12-47 for a quarter). Sure seems strange, but hey, ive seen stranger! Congratulations on a superb coin!
Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back