Hallmark

kentuckycornelius

May 14, 2021
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

This is from a 4 way cross. I have been trying to find the hallmark to identify the maker, but am nhaving no luck. Has anyone come across this before? It's hard to read as it's so small, but below it says sterling. The mark I am wondering about is above that, some kind of shape and then a K?? All ideas are appreciated!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 61

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at this for a while. I can't make any sense out of it...

attachment.php

Attachments

• sterling mark.jpg
    sterling mark.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't ID the mark but I can define the image in the first pic:
[FONT=&quot]The image is found on the back side of the Miraculous Medal Cross medal The letter M symbolizes the close relationship of Mary to the suffering, passion, and death of her Son. The cross can symbolize Christ and our redemption, with the bar under the cross a sign of the earth and the Altar, for it is on the Altar at Mass that the Sacrifice of Calvary continues to be present in the world today. The M signifies “Mary” and “Mother.” The interweaving of Mary’s initial and the cross shows Mary’s close involvement with Jesus and our world. In this, we see Mary’s part in our salvation and her role as Mother of the Church.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beneath the Cross, bar, and the M are two hearts side‐by‐side: the Sacred Heart of Jesus crowned with thorns and the Immaculate Heart of Mary pierced by a sword. The two hearts represent the love of Jesus and Mary for us.
Don.....[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The twelve stars signify the twelve tribes of Israel and the twelve apostles, who represent the entire Church as it surrounds Mary. They also recall the vision of Saint John, writer of the Book of Revelation (12:1), in which “a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of 12 stars.”[/FONT]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kentuckycornelius

kentuckycornelius

May 14, 2021
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked at this for a while. I can't make any sense out of it...

attachment.php

Thanks for taking a look! It's driving me nuts knowing it has a mark, but not being able to find it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kentuckycornelius

kentuckycornelius

May 14, 2021
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't ID the mark but I can define the image in the first pic:
[FONT="]The image is found on the back side of the Miraculous Medal Cross medal The letter M symbolizes the close relationship of Mary to the suffering, passion, and death of her Son. The cross can symbolize Christ and our redemption, with the bar under the cross a sign of the earth and the Altar, for it is on the Altar at Mass that the Sacrifice of Calvary continues to be present in the world today. The M signifies “Mary” and “Mother.” The interweaving of Mary’s initial and the cross shows Mary’s close involvement with Jesus and our world. In this, we see Mary’s part in our salvation and her role as Mother of the Church.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]Beneath the Cross, bar, and the M are two hearts side‐by‐side: the Sacred Heart of Jesus crowned with thorns and the Immaculate Heart of Mary pierced by a sword. The two hearts represent the love of Jesus and Mary for us.
Don.....[/FONT]

[FONT="]The twelve stars signify the twelve tribes of Israel and the twelve apostles, who represent the entire Church as it surrounds Mary. They also recall the vision of Saint John, writer of the Book of Revelation (12:1), in which “a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of 12 stars.”[/FONT]

Thanks for the info! So much detail in such a tiny cross! Before I found this, I didn't know they existed (I'm not Catholic)!

Upvote 0

gtsatohms

Nov 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Catholic, I find great inspiration whenever I look at a medal such as this - a great find. You may really enjoy the account written by St. Maximilian Kolbe, who gave his life in exchange for that of a father while in a Nazi concentration camp. St. Max used the ?Miraculous Medal? as a little catechism (teaching tool) wherever his travels took him.

Here is a link to the account: https://militiaoftheimmaculata.com/the-miraculous-medal-silver-bullet-of-the-mi/

A few other interesting links:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...t-maximilian-kolbes-weapon-for-evangelization

https://miraculousmedal.org/inspire/name-that-saint-saint-maximilian-kolbe/

Also, wouldn?t it be amazing if you found this on August 14, which is his Saint day?

This cross combines several medals into one. It is an excellent teaching tool. Thanks for sharing this excellent find!

Feel free to P.M. me if you?d like to learn more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kentuckycornelius

kentuckycornelius

May 14, 2021
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a Catholic, I find great inspiration whenever I look at a medal such as this - a great find. You may really enjoy the account written by St. Maximilian Kolbe, who gave his life in exchange for that of a father while in a Nazi concentration camp. St. Max used the ?Miraculous Medal? as a little catechism (teaching tool) wherever his travels took him.

Here is a link to the account: https://militiaoftheimmaculata.com/the-miraculous-medal-silver-bullet-of-the-mi/

A few other interesting links:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...t-maximilian-kolbes-weapon-for-evangelization

https://miraculousmedal.org/inspire/name-that-saint-saint-maximilian-kolbe/

Also, wouldn?t it be amazing if you found this on August 14, which is his Saint day?

This cross combines several medals into one. It is an excellent teaching tool. Thanks for sharing this excellent find!

Feel free to P.M. me if you?d like to learn more.

Thanks for all the info. I've been able to find out a lot about it, just not a range in when it was made, or who made it. It does reference St. Christopher on the back. Are these still made today with his name on them since there was some kind of action taken by the Pope in 1969 concerning him?

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa! Maybe you've discovered the secret name of God? Holy medal, unknown source, miraculous powers. Wow!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread