ivan salis said:
ah holding a intelligent chat on a topic --that few folks understand or even know of is of course difficult --and what folks no not know of they tend tomock --for fear of being called "unintelligent"
we all have subjects that we are "uninformed" about -- that doesn't make us dumb or stupid --far from it --often a "expert" is a person who knows more and more about less and less subject matter . -- he knows his "selected" subject deeply at a cost of overall general knowledge in some cases.
I couldn't have said it better (really). When I first started this topic, I labeled it "ham radio talk", hoping that it would be a sort of 'filter'. I was hoping that 'treasurehunting' also catered to the 'more mature' people.. and as you may know, you find a lot of HAM radio operators in a 'mature' group of people (the older we get, the more into that sort of thing we find ourselves). Perhaps i was hoping for that. I don't know. But, I still wasn't disappointing. People are always much better on this forum than on any other forum I know of... (insinuating mature people).

.
On another forum, they would have already called me a pedophile, gay, satin lover. This is why I come to TNET. Mature people.
Moon bounce - An antenna that is transmitting from a transmitter, that is aimed toward the moon. Those 'electronic waves', are then picked up by 'receivers' from people that are also aiming their [receiving] antenna toward the moon, to pick up the transmitted signal. This is handy in case the 'line of sight' can not be seen from the horizon of the earth. Example. If you wanted to talk to a friend in Australia [from USA], you would bounce an RF signal off the moon, and they would receive it from picking up your signal from the moon. BUT, the problem exists where the moon is traveling very fast, and a 'Doppler shift' occurs, and generally the receiver is tasked with 'tuning in' this shift.
Of course there's also the recourse of bouncing AM off the stratosphere if the moon isn't available... but that's another topic... (I'm digging a huge hole here aren't I).