HAMMERED SILVER COIN NEED HELP

Schuder3

Jan 12, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro and Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am hoping that you good people in this coin forum can help me with this French Coin? I am a button man and you would think coins would be easier to id, But no. Give me a nice confederate button anytime over hard to find coin, comfort zone I guess! Thanks. 11 - 1 (17).jpg11 - 1 (18).jpg

Looks like a coin of Francis I of France. This particular example is badly clipped and the crown over the F appears to be scratched away; despite that, I think this is a "dizain Franciscus" Ciani 1172 (about year 1540). Reference: Les Monnaies Royales Francaises de Hugues Capet a Louis XVI. Louis Ciani 1926 Paris. 502p

Last edited:
This is Great News. Leave it to the experts. I don't know how you found that, but many thanks! The info I have received from Tresnet members like you in the little time I have been a member is very rewarding. Thanks!

This is Great News. Leave it to the experts. I don't know how you found that, but many thanks! The info I have received from Tresnet members like you in the little time I have been a member is very rewarding. Thanks!

Happy to help. I hadn't cracked open that reference book in about 20 years until you posted! That big F for Francois I is a real giveaway! He was king of France from 1515 - 1547. The silver coinage of Francis is divided into before 1540 and after 1540. Since he died in 1547, this coin dates from about 1540 to about 1547.

And congrats on finding such a coin. If dug, you've beaten me by about 20 years.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back