Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to my late 1700's honey hole yesterday. My first find stumped me until I got it cleaned up. Looks like someone literally took a hammer to a 1946 Wheatie. You can see the date close to the right edge about half way down, and it may be my imagination, but I can see a faint shadow of Abe. The back has no detail. Also found a 1820 LC, my sixth from this site, but the oldest to date. Some really good detail on the front, but unfortunately the back is toast!

Hammered wheatie front.jpg Hammered wheatie back.jpg
1820 LC front.jpg 1820 LC back.jpg

Upvote 9

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love it ! Damn glad they didn't hammer the other one!!!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They may of put it on a rail road track and a train run over it. Kids use to do that. Interesting find though!!

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me that another item, possibly a coin was placed on top before the strike(s).....Joe McDonough

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you rotate the image it looks like there were 4 other coins on top of it before it got smashed.
Smashed by what?: I don't know.

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a mint error. A coin that was struck multiple times before it was ejected. If it had been hammer with other coins on top the lettering would be reversed.

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you rotate the image it looks like there were 4 other coins on top of it before it got smashed.
Smashed by what?: I don't know.

Yeah, I noticed the reverse lettering and couldn't figure that out. I think your theory of an additional coin(s) on top is the best answer. I can't help but wonder why someone went to all the effort and why. Could have been some kid-play involved as Scruggs suggested.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find for sure. I see Lincoln. Dates in at least two spots maybe three. Backwards "we trust" .............

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great large cent! Congrats!

I found a similar penny last week, although it is a memorial cent. You can barely make anything out but in person, you can see the memorial and some faint lettering at the top.

smooshed.jpg

-jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread