Hammerstone and possible grinding stone

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no question about the one being an Indian artifact, considering it was found in an exposed Indian campsite once a man made lake was drained for the first time in 100 years and pottery shards, points, knives were everywhere. But, the other possible artifact I have always wondered whether it was a smaller type grinding type artifact. It was found in a field which was a campsite at one time, quite a few archaic artifacts were found at this site and it is very smooth on the wider end and somewhat rough on the narrow end and the grooves on both sides do not appear natural, especially when you put it in your hand, your fingers go right to the indentations. I was thinking perhaps it was almost like a small pestle type of object, of which the one I have is made of similar material. Thoughts?

Don

Attachments

• Hammer1.jpg
    Hammer1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 976
  • Hammer2.jpg
    Hammer2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 425
  • Hammer3.jpg
    Hammer3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 434
  • stone1.jpg
    stone1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 436
  • stone2.jpg
    stone2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 402
  • stone3.jpg
    stone3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 413
  • stone4.jpg
    stone4.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • stone5.jpg
    stone5.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0

Rich in Houston

Nov 30, 2003
Houston,Katy TX.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro UMax, Cortez & Tejon, Fisher CZ20,
Garrett GTA 1000, AT Pro & AT Max. Minelab Equanox600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That 1st one is a nice tool no doubt. Great piece..

Shemanese

Jun 23, 2008
I see others that look like the second pic. To me, I see a battering end, and a grinding end. A conical-type hammerstone and pestle tool. YMMV

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
First one looks like an anvil stone or what most people would call a nutting stone I guess, second looks like it may be a type of grinding stone, not sure. The last white piece with the holes spread uniform over the whole surface looks natural to me.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Now in Pic.s stone1- stone3 looks a lot like a unifacail mano with a lot of pestle type traits .
In Pic.s Stone4 and stone5 , although a bit small [seen em' even smaller ] , the transition from face to ends leads me to think mano, even the fact that the face & ends look worn and the sides are rougher [not as "water" worn ] lends itself to mano, but just my thoughts

Sincerely ; Blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Sorry , thoght I looking at two differant rocks ;D stone1- stone5 the same rock? well, then unifacial mano with pastle traits

Sorry; Blindpig

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
Don, Yep, the first one in my part of the country would be classified as a "nutting" stone. Lots of hickory nuts and walnuts in these woods and all the experts say these were used to crack the hard shelled nuts. I've have three about the same size as the one pictured but have also seen some that had as many as 12 depressions in one stone. Have no idea on the second one you have there. Good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread