Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Goodyguy,
Any problem with these valves getting stuck open with gravel?

I did have a problem until I dismantled and moved the discharge valve to the very end of the hose at the crash box using only the flapper.
That way no gravel can build up behind the flapper.

check valve.jpg

Last edited:

X4FRNT

Dec 5, 2019
Salisbury NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The rubber works..... just not as smooothly as the leather. :icon_sunny:

The rubber didn’t work as well for me also, switched to the leather and it’s as smooth as butter on the draw and the push. Glad I found this forum for all the help on building mine. Great stuff

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So what is the consensus on the Hand Suction dredges? Do they work? Are they a waste of money? Since Cal. has banned motorized dredging, and what they do seems to follow suit up here in Liberal Land(Oregon) i have been thinking about buying one. So if they work, which one or which size, do you all recommend?

I see quite a number of answers. All have merit. I bought a hand dredge many many years ago. It was a steal 5 gal bucket with its own pump system on the bucket. Then the hose/nozzle was attached. The only thing was: to operate the nozzle you needed someone to hold the bucket down and pump wthe attached handle....then it worked fine. But finding someone to pump while I was on the 2 inch hose/nozzle ended real quick. I still have the unit up in the barn loft....I used it a few times to pump the stomachs of goats.

I went from that unit to my 2 inch ghost shrimp gun....(available at Bi marts on the Oregon coast)…..it has out performed all my other pack in;... non-motorized systems of getting gold. Suck and shoot....once you learn how it is the way to go. I guess I'll have to make a you tube vid.

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread