What's new

Hand-forged hammer? How old?

Kevin_Callahan1861

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 12, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
A friend recently found this old hand-forged iron (?) hammer near an 1850s plantation site in southern Louisiana. The item was totally encrusted with rust, and the photos are after two weeks of electrolysis. Can anybody help identify how old the item might be, and what style, etc.? Thanks in advance for any info you guys can provide. Cheers, Kevin
 

Attachments

  • Keviin\'s Pix 723.webp
    Keviin\'s Pix 723.webp
    100 KB · Views: 706
  • Keviin\'s Pix 726.webp
    Keviin\'s Pix 726.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 670
Too large for my screen. :D
 

Attachments

  • Keviin\'s_Pix_723.webp
    Keviin\'s_Pix_723.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 482
Upvote 0
BTW welcome to TN Kevin. Someone will be along to help. I think Mojjax has a good book on old tools.

Is it broken on one end? Im thinking broken claw hatchet. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
BTW welcome to TN Kevin. Someone will be along to help. I think Mojjax has a good book on old tools.

Is it broken on one end? Im thinking broken claw hatchet. :dontknow:

Thats what I am thinking as well,looks like the "claw",side.We find similar ones in mid 19 th century sites
 
Upvote 0
Thanks to all for your replies, and especially to Big Cypress for helping out with the photo (rookie error on my part, but I'll get it right next time). I don't believe the hammer is broken iin any way. You can't see the "wrap around" style where the handle must have slid in between, but I'll try to figure out how to compress photos and maybe post a better photo. Cheers, everyone, and happy huntin'! Kevin
 
Upvote 0
UW. You simply move your picture file to Paint or Irfanview and resize.

I think it has to be broken because the hammer head would fall off. I have never seen a forged hammer like this that wasnt pounded over and back together by the blacksmith but I would like to hear others comments.
 

Attachments

  • Keviin\'s_Pix_726.webp
    Keviin\'s_Pix_726.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0
Faulty job of forge welding where the steel bit loosened and came out, or, an incomplete axe head where the steel bit was never applied. That is both of my ideas on the subject at hand.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom