What's new

Handful of fossils

Muddy Feet

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2009
Messages
467
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
MN
Here are some fossils my boy and I picked up last summer. All pretty common but we have fun looking for them.
 

Attachments

  • F-1.webp
    F-1.webp
    21 KB · Views: 678
Nice finds, & a great way to spend 'quality time' with the young ones.
One of my most 'precious memories' was when my little Grandaughter said: Grandpa, do you have anything 'neat'
to show us today.
They are like little sponges, soaking up information.

Fossis................
 
Interesting assemblage. It appears to be Paleozoic but not sure if Permian, Pennsylvanian, or Mississippian periods.

A geologic map would specificy the formation and rough age.
 
fossis said:
Nice finds, & a great way to spend 'quality time' with the young ones.
One of my most 'precious memories' was when my little Grandaughter said: Grandpa, do you have anything 'neat'
to show us today.
They are like little sponges, soaking up information.

Fossis................
Thanks Fossis, its great to have an activity I and my kids are both interested in.
 
Hey Muddyfeet
It seems you have a great collection going. I am thinking you have interest in many things. Thank you for sharing your treasures with us.
TnMountains
 
were all these free from other stone or did you have to seperate? thanks, i am new to this and really have the bug for it. JYD...
 
i found afew fossils like those in texas.that pic of the badger reminded of when i got chashed by one,lol
 
I wonder if you got them all at the same general spot maybe the area is an ancient seabed? Maybe a motherlode of fossils?
 
It appears to be Ordovician material. I think that I see Liospira, Lophospira, Loxoplucus gastropods, some kind of rhynchonellid brachiopods, trepostomate bryozoans, crinoid ossicles(and stems), "orthoceras" cephalopods, and I think something else, but I can't see the pic while replying.
 
Solius Symbiosus said:
It appears to be Ordovician material. I think that I see Liospira, Lophospira, Loxoplucus gastropods, some kind of rhynchonellid brachiopods, trepostomate bryozoans, crinoid ossicles(and stems), "orthoceras" cephalopods, and I think something else, but I can't see the pic while replying.

lol. Okay professor. Can you tell us if this guy has stumbled onto a sea bed of sorts? Is there future paydirt for him? What's the market for items like these?

Thanks.
 
BillyBudd said:
Solius Symbiosus said:
It appears to be Ordovician material. I think that I see Liospira, Lophospira, Loxoplucus gastropods, some kind of rhynchonellid brachiopods, trepostomate bryozoans, crinoid ossicles(and stems), "orthoceras" cephalopods, and I think something else, but I can't see the pic while replying.

lol. Okay professor. Can you tell us if this guy has stumbled onto a sea bed of sorts? Is there future paydirt for him? What's the market for items like these?

Thanks.

Of sorts. They are from Ordovician marine sediments. As to their value, very little. They are very common fossils. Value depends on rarity, completeness, and provenance. Generally, it is the crinoids(and echinoderms) and trilobites that command the big bucks from collectors.

Here are a few rarer Ordovician fossils that I have collected(I don't sell any of my finds). Click on the "trilobite", and "crinoid" sets.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom