What's new

Happy New Year’s Hunt at New Bank (With Photograph)

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
January 7, 2011
Los Angeles, California

My first hunt of the New Year:

I called a bank that I had never been to on Thursday, January 6. Very polite employee Israel told me they had $100 in halves. I called again on Friday, January 7 to confirm my visit to their bank. Israel now said they had $150 in halves.

When I stopped by the bank after work on Friday I bought $180 in halves. Two of the rolls were wrapped using clear plastic (SCOTCH) tape. I could see several silver coins in each of these two rolls as the teller brought the coins to the counter.

I think my interest in these coins caused an interest in the employees. Several tellers and two supervisors gathered around the transaction window to apparently learn why the hell anyone would want to buy $180 in halves.

I am completely convinced that none of them had any idea at all of what I was looking for.

I don’t drive – I take public transportation. And as I was waiting for the bus to go home I wanted to look through the coins. I was excited to find out what treasures I had - but even by standing under a streetlight it was too dark to see! I had to wait until I got on the metro train.

I found the following 25 coins:

1942 Walker
1964 Kennedy (3)
40% Kennedy (20)
1985 S Kennedy Proof

(The 1964 dime pictured came from a different bank.)

Half-Hound 2011: 24 Silver Halves, 1 Silver Dime
 

Attachments

  • LITE Coins 7 January, 2011.webp
    LITE Coins 7 January, 2011.webp
    170 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0
nice finds!

i've always wondered who the person was that actually uses LA public transit!
 
So what did you tell them when they wanted to know why you wanted $180 in half dollars? :)
 
Half-Hound,
Very good score to start off 2011. Hope you find
plenty more. Nice pic too! Thanks
rileyboy
 
Great first hunt of the New Year! Nice pics, too.

apush :read2:
 
did they sell you the halfs without having an account? just wondering suprdave
 
Half-Hound,
Great job! That is a very good rate of return.
Congrats, :icon_thumright:
Steve
 
:hello: :icon_thumleft: Great 1st hunt to begin the New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Good score. Sounds like halves come in there on a regular basis. You may want to check with them weekly or have them call you when some come in.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom