Harbor Freight Rock Tumbler, Belt broke after less than 40 hours!

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I bought a Harbor Freight rock tumbler (the single drum 3lb model) and the first belt has broken after
less than 40 hours. I put on the extra belt they gave me, it was easy to install. I guess I'm a little
disapointed it broke so fast but I guess you get what you pay for. I read online that it went through belts fast
so I'm the only one to blame I guess. The machine was making a thumping sound this morning so I took
off the top and saw the belt was 90 percent broken through, only a thin amount still holding the belt together.
after I put the new belt on it was like new (listen for that thumping, out of balance sound, clue the belt is
about to go). I wonder if there stronger belts, maybe a vacuum cleaner belt. any ideas.

Joe

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could help you, I have no idea how big a belt is needed, or how thick you can go. Otherwise I would suggest using a bicycle chain and change the end to hold with sprockets :tongue3:

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250
I have a harbor freight tumbler and the belt also broke went to the vacuum cleaner store got a belt cut it down and have used it all summer and have had no more trouble.
hope this helps you. camperlee

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
The HF belts do not last. I had one break after a short time also, went to Ace Hardware and picked up a large O ring and used it as a belt. Works fine.

I like the vacumm clearner belt idea.

Ray S

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found and purchased an offer of heavy O rings or belts for tumblers on Ebay that work well. I also had the thought about vacum cleaner belts or odd O rings in an appropriate size, but found the Ebay listing first. Not doubt about it, the HF belts are worthless.
luvsdux

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surprised it lasted that long, chalk it up as a lesson and don't shop there again.
I came to that conclusion years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread