Hard Rock mining in the Mother Lode of California, Murphys - Angels Camp - Columbia

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a pic of a bulletin you probably need to know where the lodes and placer mines have been registered in the past. It was printed in 1963. Still relevent and copies are still around. Does not cover Tuolemne County. Hard rock mining is the most labor intensive and regulation intensive as you can get. I predict there is a highbanker in your future! TTC

Sorry...... the pic.......

DSC00429.JPG

Last edited:

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I AM sooo glad i'm in New Mexico....

naturegirl08

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Great-Great Grandfather, W.B. Walkup made a map in 1845 of the Mines and Mining claims in Calaveras county. I was able to get a copy of it online for about $35. It's a wealth of information about the area and especially cool for me because it was drawn up by one of my ancestors. We actually have a cabin in Arnold, CA if you'd like to come see it, or you can order one online here Old County Maps - CALAVERAS CO. CALIFORNIA MINES/MINING CLAIMS BY WALKUP 1845
If only I could get the original :(

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am one of those that mined "ninja style" up in alleghany calif.

I worked a hard rock mine for 5 years till put out of business by the new explosives regulations after 9/11

It would have cost us over $10,000 just for the explosives permits to keep operating.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fullpan....thats my back yard :hello:......recent discussion on here about those....those bucket line dredges made pay by the massive amounts of material they were moving....not big gold.That area is too far down....

I'd rethink that theory kuger. I pulled a 2.2 pound nugget out of the piles in Snelling in 1971. :laughing7:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd rethink that theory kuger. I pulled a 2.2 pound nugget out of the piles in Snelling in 1971. :laughing7:
"
Clay, may I assume that '71 was the last time you pulled such a nugget out of the dreg tailings? If so, Kuger's "theory" is still a likely conclusion. I would also like a rock like that to prove a statement wrong but your find is the (extreme) exception, not the rule. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread