NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so besides mountain lions, bees, scorpions, snakes, 2 species of venomous lizards, what other animals would you have to worry about while prospecting the desert i know the plains grizzley bears that were probebly even bigger then the kodiak brown bears are extinct but they been known to take down big bison with one swipe should you have to worry about coyotes?

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not an animal but watch the cactus.

Especially the Jumping Cholla. They'll ruin your day real fast.

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol yea i had some bad experiences with some prickley pear cactus lol dont eat till you pealed it first ahaha

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes are too small. Just kick'em if they yelp at you.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coyotes are too small. Just kick'em if they yelp at you.

....people are attacked by coyotes every year,and I have been bitten....let me tell you,they are nothing like a normal dog biting you,and a "kick",isnt going to do a whole lot......that being said,your chances of a coyote attacking you is 1 in a million.
Dont worry about animals,2 legged predators are your biggest concern when prospecting

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Other things to worry about...

Javelina Peccary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia especially if they have young, kissing bug Triatominae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(if bitten get to help NOW) that likes to get into shoes when they are off (as do most critters) so shake and beat them out before doning,...
n yep stay away from the Cactus, wear good quality leather gloves, long sleeves, full pants, tuck them into your high laced boots, good hat to keep the sun off, salty snacks, plenty of fluids Camel packs are handy, a good hand held GPS with topo maps, 2 way radios JIC you have a partner, walking stick, GUN .357 mag minimum, plus the usual tools, and never pick up anything unless you kick or knock it over with your walking stick first....

First time I took the wife into the desert she treated it like a walk in a county park, then I had to enlighten her, as she did not like the weight of the .40 she was wearing. and then I pointed to the soft sand, the tracks, and named them for her, kicked over some rocks and then she saw the small and very poisonous scorpions. Then all of a sudden she did not mind the extra weight....

Last edited:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most bothersome creatures are nocturnal, so you will not see them during the day.

The most dangerous creature of all is Man. You never know when he may be out there!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Poor old coyotes. Just feed them once and they become your dogs. Follow you wherever you hike waiting for you to shoot something and toss it to them, keep the snakes out from under your trailer cause they like the shade, keep everything else on two or four legs away cause they are territorial. Pretty smart animals that survive on the desert or anywhere else. NJnuggetpirate, just enjoy any time you can spend on the desert. And while you're having fun, keep an eye on the ground and look for any gold nuggets that Terry and his friends may not have found...

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i rather have a wolf or a fox austin theres a densite for foxes in my woodss and the foxes will harass you knocking your fishing poles in the water or stealling fish out of the bucket ahaha

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The absolute worst encounter with any wildlife I've ever
had in my neck of the woods while gold hunt'n was with
wild pigs . Best not underestimate them damn things .

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have wild bigs in Glouster county NJ but i never seen them is there still wolves out west i love me some wolves

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have wild bigs in Glouster county NJ but i never seen them is there still wolves out west i love me some wolves

...yea,we have wolves in Montana,Idaho,and Wyo. and you can have your wolves...I despise what they have done to the wildlife on our place in Montana....we no longer have any Moose and I have personally watched them kill Elk for fun...We can hunt them now and I will be!!

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mine (haha) Recently has been CENTIPEEDS...ICK make the wife scream and jump, (bobcats and Puma make her coo) This thing came out the seam last week Centipede.jpg
Hate em!

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well kuger it may look like its fun but wolves will hunt more then 2 or 3 times a week wolves and you may think wolves are bad but what about your pronghorn population wolves give baby pronghorn a chance against coyotes who wouldnt think twice to kill em off in every ecosystem there should be apex predater so as much as i hate to say it kill one if you see fit but i also hope you never get the chance

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worst wild animal I have run across here in N.Ga. , was my wife ! Come back late and she will go off like some cheap fireworks !

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Black widows! was looking for calcite crystals in roadside cut & almost grabbed the biggest one I've ever seen!! coyotes have been known to attack humans. dog packs are bad here in MO. they can do anything when hungry.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well kuger it may look like its fun but wolves will hunt more then 2 or 3 times a week wolves and you may think wolves are bad but what about your pronghorn population wolves give baby pronghorn a chance against coyotes who wouldnt think twice to kill em off in every ecosystem there should be apex predater so as much as i hate to say it kill one if you see fit but i also hope you never get the chance

Partner,I am not going to argue with you on here,but no they didnt eat but one or two out of about 25 they killed,and if you dont beleive me,I will put you into contact with the Biologist(I am one as well....:thumbsup:)that watched it along with me...he is from the FW&Parks of Montana....look into it in Alaska...news for ya pard,they are one of the only predators that do "frenzy",kill.#2 our antelope population needs no help what so ever....they are booming,and where did you get this info that wolves dont eat antelope?Its wrong....wolves are not picky.....its made of meat...they eat it.You are in N.Jersey,dont sit there and tell me,how to "live",with wolves.We deal with em year round,and yes,they are an awesome creature,they need to be controlled,and through hunting is how that will be done,and I will be successful....I promise you that....we have a pack that has taken up residence on our place and feeds off our cattle which are our livelihood.

OP
OP
N

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooo no sir i never said they dont eat antelope im saying they dont let coyotes after them they would kill the coyote first wolves do need to be manage lol but also what about hybrids wolves mating with domesticated dogs or coyotes with dogs they cause problems too with lifestock im all for hunting i hunt too but my personal opinion is wolves are to much like dogs to kill im getting a wolf dog eventually you could be one of the first ppl to meet him if you want ill used him to sniff out nuggets bc wolves nose are much stronger then normal dogs

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Mine (haha) Recently has been CENTIPEEDS...ICK make the wife scream and jump, (bobcats and Puma make her coo) This thing came out the seam last week View attachment 749537
Hate em!

Mine will not bat an eye at the 4 legged critters but if she sees a snake..:censored: her scream well lets just say I can hear her for miles and miles... ever heard a .40 sound like a machine gun and still hit nothing....:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread