Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a small rural town. The local bank (where I do have accounts) has a coin machine inside. You walk in, dump all your coins in the hopper, and it counts what you have and prints a receipt. Take the receipt to the teller, and they give you cash.

I would love to be able to buy these coins and go through them. There is no doubt that people clean out their drawers and a lot of old coins end up in the hopper. Before I ask the bank about this, I wanted to see if anyone else has approached this, and how.

- Carl

Upvote 0

engine 823

Dec 27, 2007
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
Re: Has anyone ever tried this...

Alot of times the bank will tell you they have "X" amount of halves or what ever it is your looking for in the machine and ask if you want them. Also I have seen banks that empty their coin machine once a month and you can buy them by the bag on that day or the day after. You have to talk to them about this before hand though. They send them back out pretty fast and if you want them you have to have them hold them for you. At least that has been my limited experience.

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Has anyone ever tried this...

I took over $12 in coins ran them through a coin machine in the grocery store. It accepted
all but 3 Penny's and one dime. I tried the Penny's again they were rejected. Uponcloser examination The Penny's were wheat cents, and the dime was silver. They went back in my pocket.

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went by the bank today, had a nice chat with the lady in charge of the vault. She told me that the contents of the coin counter are directly picked up by Loomis-Fargo, so it would be difficult for me to buy them. They average several $1000 per day.

But the interesting thing is that the machine is designed to reject silver coins. It reads both conductivity and weight, to ensure foreign coins don't slip through. She knows for a fact that it will not take silver coins. So that makes it less appealing, although it would still be good for hunting errors, which is what I want anyway.

- Carl

TT

Jan 15, 2008
Milky Way
The Allison Cummins self serve coin counters I have used will accept silver coins. I have not put one in, but another crh'er I know did test this theory.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank still has the older machine that sorts the coins into bags. The tellers pull the bags when they are full and once a week brinks comes by and picks up the bags.

I asked if I could buy the bags, they said yes, so now I go to the bank the day before the brinks run is scheduled and buy the bags. Then I take them to another branch that has the newer hopper only coin counter to dump them.

My tellers have been great, they save rejects for me, and even refer customers to me who have large amounts of coin they are trying to dump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread