What's new

Has someone ever found a hobo nickel?

i don't crh nickels so pardon my ignorance but what is a hobo nickel?
 
I have seen a couple guys dig them up metal detecting on todays finds forum.

Golden Silver
 
:o WOW those are amazing! I've never heard or seen one until I looked at that website. Very cool! I can't imagine one of those getting into a roll of nickels,but I guess anything is possible.
 
I took this photo from that website because I found a penny that had those ridges all around it and I thought what the heck is it and I threw it back and rolled it up. Are there hobo pennies too? lol I know it's still in one of the three boxes of pennies I was going to return to the bank tomorrow. I don't know if I want to go through all of them to find it though.
 

Attachments

  • 1925art-.webp
    1925art-.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 471
That is really cool!! I have never seen one before, or even heard about them. Might give it a try sometime, just for kicks.
- Grizz
 
From what I understand these were first around during the 30s, when hobos during the depression would pass the time by carving Buff Nicks. I think some artists are more valuable. I also think there are people today making reproductions.
 
yes there are hobo pennies, not as common.. I saw a penny that had lincoln's head as a skull.. Anyone know how people make hobo nickels??
 
A few from my collection...

The quality of the art varies as do the values...
 

Attachments

  • RABBI by Dorusa 1950.webp
    RABBI by Dorusa 1950.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 306
  • SALESMAN.webp
    SALESMAN.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 275
  • RABBI by Dorusa 1950.webp
    RABBI by Dorusa 1950.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 291
  • Hobo Nickle-2.webp
    Hobo Nickle-2.webp
    4.9 KB · Views: 299
  • DERBY.webp
    DERBY.webp
    11.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DERBY MAN.webp
    DERBY MAN.webp
    3.5 KB · Views: 287
  • c18f_1.webp
    c18f_1.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 297
  • BEARD & COLLAR.webp
    BEARD & COLLAR.webp
    2.6 KB · Views: 285
  • CATFISH.webp
    CATFISH.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 282
The cool thing about Hobo nickels is that some of the artists were so prolific that they have been able to trace some of them to the carver. Coin Prices had a good article about them in an issue from....last year I think. Could be wrong, I need to check my back issues.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom