Have any of you heard of a 1993 steel penny???

I would think you have a coin that did not get its layer of copper on top. But I agree - check it witha magnet.

I actualy have one in the drawer next to me. I didnt find it though I made it in class back in high school, I forget how or why we did it, but yep looks like a steel penny but realy it has either a layer added or a layer taken away. I'd imagine if the penny was minted without the copper layer thatd make it a collectible and maybe valuble error right? I duno how ud tell if it was intentionaly done or done at the mint though its proly tough without sending it out ??? either way a neat find, good luck and let us know what the magnet says. jp.

Hi Ho Silver! said:
Sorry, but I don't think any 1993 Steel pennies were ever minted.(1943only) :dontknow: :dontknow:

true but other countries coins (that our mint makes) are steel and could have had a blank left in the presses.

I would assume that it has been plated with something. It is a very common school lab experiment to plate zinc onto a penny to make it look silver. I saw on one site that if you take a zinc coated penny and heat it in an oven at 350 degrees F for about 15 minutes that it will turn a golden color. The zinc alloys with the copper to make brass. I have no idea if that will actually work though.

let us know what you find out. Still a cool find either way if you ask me.... But, that's if you ask...

Interesting thoughts guys. I am clueless. It does not look Aluminum or Zinc but steel. It could have been some sort of experiment but it looks like the best counterfit I have ever seen. My Dad has also found one this past year so my thought is it cannot be all that rare. We do live in the same area. Interestingly enough My Dad's is also a 1993. I will try and post pics when I can snag a camera. It may be a few days.

golden silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back