Have you ever found a silver dollar?

If you have found a silver dollar how many have you found?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 4 or more

• Total voters

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only one. an 1877 TRADE DOLLAR. found "IN" a Grave yard, "AT" a Grave Site, During a "Public Service dig" & "Donated" to the Catholic church, even tho, all COIN FINDS were supposed to be mine, as per Our agreement.

F

fishermann

Found 2 silver dollars in 15 years of detecting. One was an 1883S Morgan and the other a 1921. One in a "town square" park and the other in a lake recreation park. Both were about 6-1/2 inches deep. They give signals just like a dime on a regular sound only machine. My first was dug with a Fisher 1265X and the other with a CZ5. My hunting partner checked the signal on his White's Silver Eagle on the newer dollar and got a trash reading. I am NOT knocking White's detectors though. I have used them and found plenty. Good huntin!It was really trashy and the White's coil is bigger.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Been lucky to find several over the years. Well more than several and less than enough. Morgans, Peace and Ikes. The wierd thing is the two Ikes I found in almost the same spot 10 years apart. That is, found the second one ten years after the first in the same park playground and neither had spent more than a few days there when I found them. Another kinda wierd coincidental is two of my WLH's were both '43's and were found about 2 days apart and 10 miles apart at parks. Only wierd because they are the only two '43's I've found.

H

hunting4gold

One silver dollar 15 years ago and one $5 gold piece beside the sidewalk of all places.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you count a silver dollar sized 89% SILVER 1914 "REPUPLIC OF CHINA DOLLAR", I found in a drained Lake Bed, I found 2

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I couldn't find a silver dollar in the midwest or the east to save my soul when I first started detecting. Thousands of silver coins but no silver dollars. Virgin parks had a great abundance of silver halves but no silver dollars. WHY? However, once I moved to the west in the 70's I have found a number of Morgan and Peace dollars. My favorite state for silver dollars was Nevada where I found a number of them in virgin school yards. My opinion on this is that silver dollars were more freely circulated in the west than in the east. They also? remained in circulation a lot longer in the west then in other sections of the country.

Just my 2 cents worth
George

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i haven't found any yet just a couple Susan B's

Z

zeuss69

You need to come here at Gorden's metal scrap yard they give them out everyday!!You just take scrape cars or cans what ever as long as its some type of metal.they give you cash back but he seems to always give out a silver dollar!

ZEUSS69

F

fishermann

Back in "the day" those big bashes were going on in the parks, the grass was either trampled down puposely before the event or during as there was no lawn mowing. The absence of silver dollars anywhere might simply be because they were spotted on the ground, even through the trampled grass easier than a dime or even a half. Kids could find them pretty easy I am sure. My little girl can spot a penny in Wal-Mart ot 100 feet! Might be the reason. Add to that the fact most men (who carried a lot of if not all the family spending money) in those days used squeezie coin purses or wrapped the money in a handkerchief.( VERY LITTLE money was carried loose in the pockets no matter what they tell you) Ever tried fitting a silver dollar in even a large coin purse? Take a silver dollar outside in your yard and try to "accidentally lose it" It's large, it shines immensely and it makes a real tell-tale "THUD" when it hits the ground. Moral of the story, unless very well active in the "spirits" which most of these old events were not, one would have to be pretty "to the wind" to lose a silver dollar of any kind. Just a thought.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
All of my old silver dollars came from parkways. I believe that's about the most common place to find them because parkways in older parts of towns were sometimes muddy spots where buggies parked and very early autos prior to the modern roadway and sidewalk. Lawns were just as neatly kept long ago, parks were well maintained also. So as most would agree, a silver dollar dropped there would have little chance of laying in one spot long enough to become a target for us today.

Having done miles of parkways both under construction and not, there are just some places where you can find evidence that a coin or two was dropped almost every year from the homesite's construction. Meanwhile in other areas where you would suppose this equation to be true there will sometimes be almost nothing but one or two older coins or one or two newer coins.

They are out there, you've got to hit the right spot to find them, like any other coinage or target you'd like to recover. Yep, old timers were careful with coinage in their pockets due their one or two experiences with holey pockets. Wrapping them in hankies or cloth or carrying a pocket purse. People were good at mending back then and quick learners, both things meant more than they seemingly sometimes today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions