Have you seen the interactive club map on the FMDAC website?

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The FMDAC has a new interactive club map to show where clubs are located around the country, it is pretty cool. It would be great if we could get all clubs listed on it so if someone wanted to join a club they would know where their nearest metal detecting club is. Check it out at http://www.fmdac.org/map/default.html

click on a marker to get the clubs information.

Upvote 0

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Why would an organization come to your help if you are not a member? Will the NRA if your not a member?

I wouldn't expect their help if I was not a member. There are folks all around us that are members though so I can only go by what I'm told.

Are you a member of a club? Have you ever served as a club officer? It is not easy and you get very few thanks but it is a job that needs to be done.

Bazinga and I are both officers in a club, and we've discussed this issue with our membership before. I will do it again, because I know how passionate some feel about the FMDAC. The problem we had was only a handful of 28 at the time were interested and since it's all or nothing when you're talking clubs, we suggested that group may want to join with the higher fee.

My personal opinion is the newsletter is a poor selling point. The web has all but eliminated the need for paper newsletters. And, with the release of things like the i-pad, paper copies probably won't even be good bathroom material in the near future :laughing7: The legal angle is the one thing most get excited about because we all know someone who has had to pay for a lawyer and fight a silly charge, or we are aware of some recently enacted ban.

I have not heard of them providing outdated laws in the past 8 years as an Officer. Can you tell me of a situation that you are referring to?

I'd rather not, but the way it was told to me sounded bad. It's a one sided story. It was 6 years ago.

I'll let you know via PM the reaction I get after our next meeting.

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have confirmed that club membership in the FMDAC is a minimum of 5 individuals, not all members in a club have to be FMDAC members. There are a lot of FMDAC clubs where only a portion of the members are FMDAC members and yet the club is still a FMDAC Club.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
I find it highly strange that if I have a membership of 35 in my club and 5 join, then we're associated with the FMDAC. That would be a poorly written club charter where 5 of 35 could dictate club direction or policy. I guess if all I had was 8 members then 5 would make sense.

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not like being an FMDAC club dictates any club policy. The way I see it if you get 5 or more people together that join the fmdac then they are an FMDAC club. The only thing it gets you over an independent member is cheaper dues and your club listed on the map so that others might find you and join your club.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread