Having Trouble Finding a Source for Halves

silversearcher9040

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am trying to do some half-dollar searching, but so far have only been able to buy 50 pieces from the tellers' desk. I asked my bank "can you order half dollars?" and they said no. I then withdrew a decent amount of cash and went to another bank, and offered to open a new account and deposit it if they would let me order half dollars. They said no.

I am going to go try the same offer to a few banks downtown tomorrow, but if they won't order halves, I am not sure what to do. I heard that someone's branch of Chase will order, but the nearest one is 90 miles away.

Any advise, tips, list of banks that will order, etc.? I would really like to get a few boxes of halves in my hands and start hunting!

Thanks!

Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
silversearcher9040 said:
Hello,

I am trying to do some half-dollar searching, but so far have only been able to buy 50 pieces from the tellers' desk. I asked my bank "can you order half dollars?" and they said no. I then withdrew a decent amount of cash and went to another bank, and offered to open a new account and deposit it if they would let me order half dollars. They said no.

I am going to go try the same offer to a few banks downtown tomorrow, but if they won't order halves, I am not sure what to do. I heard that someone's branch of Chase will order, but the nearest one is 90 miles away.

Any advise, tips, list of banks that will order, etc.? I would really like to get a few boxes of halves in my hands and start hunting!

Thanks!

What banks are in your area?

OP
OP
S

silversearcher9040

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The_EE said:
What banks are in your area?
Those that I have yet tried include Pinnacle, Regions, 5/3, SunTrust, maybe a couple others im forgetting at the moment.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The bigger the bank, the more willing they are to order. Those banks will typically have a ton of coins coming in and out due to merchants. It doesn't matter to them whether you want to lump on an order or not. With smaller branches, space is limited and the delivery cash guy comes less often. Those smaller branches are more willing to charge fees whereas a larger bank pays one flat fee for the cash delivery and pickup. Those small branches probably told you no because they don't want to deal with it and get charged. Find a large merchant bank near you and I'm sure they'd be willing to accomodate you.

OP
OP
S

silversearcher9040

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, those above are the ones I have NOT tried. Will try tomorrow. Would you advise against depositing exactly enough for 10 boxes (or say $100 extra), then going to the teller and asking her/him to order 10?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
silversearcher9040 said:
Sorry, those above are the ones I have NOT tried. Will try tomorrow. Would you advise against depositing exactly enough for 10 boxes (or say $100 extra), then going to the teller and asking her/him to order 10?

LOL.. start slow dude.. work your way up later. 10 boxes right away may put them off especially if they have other coins or cash that take up space in the vault. Imagine if you were a teller, how would feel if someone off the street came in and wanted 10 boxes ordered right away? You don't know the guy and you may think it's a joke. Or you could get worried if you order that many and the guy doesn't show up to pick up or takes his time. They don't like to hold onto them because they have other uses for their vault. Be considerate and build rapport with them before going bigger. Ask them what is a reasonable number. I've had some banks dislike ordering for me that after a couple weeks, they said sorry but we're not doing it anymore. Find a good bank that you're comfortable with and them with you. Read all the old posts.

F

Farchaus2k

It's all about trust. If you can work up trust with tellers then they will be more willing to help you. But you've got to START SLOW. Coming in off the street and asking to get 10 boxes a week is going to be a very tough sell. Start with 2 for a few weeks to a month and work your way up from there. Get to a point of trust where the tellers know you will pick up on time, every time. It may take a little while, but you will get to a point where 8-12 boxes a week are no big issue at all. Just make sure you have all your dumping arrangements made well ahead of time. Good Luck!!!

OP
OP
S

silversearcher9040

Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ideas, thanks. Would you guys open accounts at the banks first and then ask the teller, or ask the acct manager prior to opening your account? Id hate to end up with a bunch of open accts I wont use.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I just talked to PNC bank today..
They asked if i had an account, and i lied and said yes....they said they could order them for me...Just starting at one a week..
She then asked for my social....and luckily I have student loans with PNC....so SOMETHING came up.. lol
She then said I need to start a free checking account and it will be no prob..
I told her I would start one Tues. when I come to pick up my halves.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
silversearcher9040 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

The best way to ask a bank to order boxes of halves for you, is when you ask them, you have to assume they can order it for you!!
Instead of asking
- " Can you order some halves" , try asking
- " Hi, I like to order couple boxes of half dollars, can you tell me how long it will take? "
Now, 99% of the time, you'll get them order you the halves!!!
Always assume that the bank can order halves for you, and don't just ask if they can.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread