Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a "hunted out" private property site (with permission) today that's beaten to death almost every day. It's not easy finding a spot that doesn't have signs of having been worked in the past. In this area the sod is poor and plugs can show for years.

My first signal was this ring. It's nothing great but the cool thing is I dug it right beside another hole! I drew an outline of the two plugs with the ring right between them after I refilled my hole.

It's not uncommon for me to dig stuff right beside a previous hole.

This is the beauty of target separation and knowing ones detector.

So, just because a site is worked hard never assume it's totally hunted out.

I then got a call and had to leave the site. I had only about 5 minutes hunting time. :(

Oh well, there's always next time. :)

Badger

Attachments

• ring6-3-07.jpg
    ring6-3-07.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,230
  • ring6-3-07b.jpg
    ring6-3-07b.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,233
Upvote 0
Nice ring for 5 mins! I saw a badger along side of the road the other day and thought of you, in a good way, LOL. HH, Mike

Sweet ring, Badger. Very cool. Gotta love it for only 5 minutes of hunting.

HH

Well he might'a almost...but you did! ;D Great ring there, Badger! 8)

Congrats! Nana :)

Plugs???? - they look more like the whole kitchen sink - I use a Lesche and cut a plug about the size of a clenched fist. The ones in the photo look as if they have used a spade/shovel of some kind.

Nice find - one for the treasure chest for sure

This is my second year metal detecting. I just starting hunting in pull tab mode this year. I'm finding that I was missing older coins that were buried deeper that my detector would not find with the discrimination cranked up on high.

Even in my front yard I found two wheat's and a 65 quarter that I missed last year, my front yard is very small.
As a matter of fact when hunting with full discrimination the only thing I ever found was clad. So far this year I found 9 or 10 wheat's a Rosie dime and a 1929 merc and I always dig as much trash as I can and take it with me.

Using a cheaper detector I do find that pin pointing can be a pain, some times digging a 4 inch round hole 9 inch deep before realizing that the target was right on the edge of the hole that I dug. It can be frustrating at times too. I took a guy detecting with me one time and he brought a big shovel like that, started ripping thru the turf like a mad man. Screaming and yelling every time he pulled a big piece of rusty iron from the ground.

I let him use my BH lone star and I thought he was going to bend it over his knee and sling it thru the air like a golf club. Turning his noise and snaring at the little pile of clad that I found. Thats when I learned that this hobby is not for people who get discoraged real easy and have a lack of patience. I can see why some hunters will just hunt with discrimination on full because they are scared that they may have to drop to there knees and dig. Since I started hunting in bottle cap mode I find that I am getting more exercise too. Anyway congratulations on that nice ring Harry, I hope I find one someday.

checkmate said:
This is my second year metal detecting. I just starting hunting in pull tab mode this year. I'm finding that I was missing older coins that were buried deeper that my detector would not find with the discrimination cranked up on high.

Even in my front yard I found two wheat's and a 65 quarter that I missed last year, my front yard is very small.
As a matter of fact when hunting with full discrimination the only thing I ever found was clad. So far this year I found 9 or 10 wheat's a Rosie dime and a 1929 merc and I always dig as much trash as I can and take it with me.

Using a cheaper detector I do find that pin pointing can be a pain, some times digging a 4 inch round hole 9 inch deep before realizing that the target was right on the edge of the hole that I dug. It can be frustrating at times too. I took a guy detecting with me one time and he brought a big shovel like that, started ripping thru the turf like a mad man. Screaming and yelling every time he pulled a big piece of rusty iron from the ground.

I let him use my BH lone star and I thought he was going to bend it over his knee and sling it thru the air like a golf club. Turning his noise and snaring at the little pile of clad that I found. Thats when I learned that this hobby is not for people who get discoraged real easy and have a lack of patience. I can see why some hunters will just hunt with discrimination on full because they are scared that they may have to drop to there knees and dig. Since I started hunting in bottle cap mode I find that I am getting more exercise too. Anyway congratulations on that nice ring Harry, I hope I find one someday.

This is a very good honest post.

You deal with two of the most important issues in this hobby:

1. pinpointing
2. discrimination

I learned a long time ago that all discrimination really does is corrupt the signals from certain targets for certain reasons. A shallow coin may sound loud and clear at 4 inches while using pulltab discrimination. The same coin at 6 inches may produce only a click while hunting at this discrimination level. Ground minerals and just plain dirt obstruction will cause a target to change in sound.

I regularly dig Indian cents when others in this area never find them. What they don't know is Indian cents often read close to foil in this area. Once dug they blast off with a discrimination setting of pulltab. Many old coins are missed due to meters and too high of discrimination.

Without accurate pinpointing you're in a world of hurt. Target separation, judging the true depth, etc., all go to pot.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back