head scratcher...probably shouldnt be but..

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a rural area in Dodge Co WI stuck at a RR track waiting for a very long train to pass and saw a large pile of black "trap" rock, (what they use to spread along the sides of the tracks). So I hoped out and grabbed a couple to see what they were using in this area
(figured basalt at initial look). At home under the loupe im now thinking black chert/jasper with quartz and Potassium feldspar phenocrysts, but I have not heard of chert having phenocrysts like basalt does, but im fairly certain it is a chert/jasper/chalcedony material. I know this is not that interesting of a rock to most but im pretty interested in getting the ID for it.

The hardness is around 7-7.5, no streak, no reaction to LW or SW UV, but here is the weird one a couple of the pieces are attracted to a magnet slightly and a couple others are not...

Thx for any help. the third image shows a fresh break.

chert with phenocrysts2.jpg

chert with phenocrysts.jpg

chert with phenocrysts3.jpg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what your sample is. I do know that about every RR track bed in TX has flint/chert of some sort for the ballast. I even found black chert ballast (no phenocrysts) on tracks here in IL. I think they use it as it will outlast limestone by many years. Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no doubt this thing is durable, they use this rock, dolostone, basalt, granite and who knows what else up here.

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it's a tillite, which would make the k-feldspars "clasts" instead of phenocrysts. It just looks sedimentary, then metamorphic as opposed to primary igneous. I think I see some small magnetite nugs in there too :)

So being likely a tillite, it's black sand (quartz + basalt) with other larger quartz and k-spar clasts. At least that's my opinion

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions