What's new

Head scratcher?

demano

Full Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2020
Messages
130
Reaction score
605
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
AT MAX
Garret carrot
Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a long Wisconsin winter finally able to get out, found this today at 1800's home site any help id greatly appreciated. Has writing above the rivets but not able to read it. Love this hobby, thanks again
 

Attachments

  • 20210323_231917.webp
    20210323_231917.webp
    282.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210323_231928.webp
    20210323_231928.webp
    236.3 KB · Views: 65
I think its a type of suspender clip.
 
Upvote 0
Crusader's guess (he said "I think") is correct. Your find is one of the components from a President (brand) suspenders. This unique design was patented in 1901. They seem to have been extremely popular... the part you found has turned up for ID many times here in the What-Is-It? forum. It is the "central" piece just above the large strap in the Patent diagram. See the images below.
 

Attachments

  • suspenders_patent-diagram_President-brand_1901.webp
    suspenders_patent-diagram_President-brand_1901.webp
    23 KB · Views: 64
  • suspenders_President-brand_fullview_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.gif
    suspenders_President-brand_fullview_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.gif
    124.8 KB · Views: 57
  • suspenders_President-brand_parts_TN_photobyHighnam_20170908_image.webp
    suspenders_President-brand_parts_TN_photobyHighnam_20170908_image.webp
    116.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love this line :laughing7:
Great I.D. Cru and TCG.
 

Attachments

  • suspenders_President-brand_fullview_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.gif
    suspenders_President-brand_fullview_TN_postedbyBigCypressHunter.gif
    123.1 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help with the ID for a new detectorist the knowledge from this great site is such a help, almost as much fun cleaning and trying to figure the finds out when I get them home. Thanks again
 
Upvote 0
Patented 1892... Very popular brand name up through WWI. Advertised as "the most popular in the world".

I didn't get too far into the weeds on the legalese but it seems they were hit with a Trade Mark lawsuit around 1920 for exclusive use of the word "President". They lost, which meant anybody could make suspenders with the word President on them. By 1924 they were essentially out of business.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Lead bale seal?
Replies
3
Views
593
Replies
15
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom