What's new

Heading to Vegas - Should I hunt?

Felixaaron

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello

I have been reading post here for a while, but this is my first post. Thanks for all the tips along the way. In Dec, I went through $10k in halves, quarters, and dimes and only found >2oz silver weight (mostly 40%). I averaged less than 1 coin per box. I have done all my draws and dumps from the same back but different branches. How can I tell the difference between a Lomis and Brink roll, so I know im at least getting some variety?

Also, I read some comments on other posts that the northeast tends to have better find rates than the mid west. I am in Denver and find a lot of brand-new, straight from the mint 2010 dimes and quarters. is the northeast better because there were more heavily populated cities in the in 50s/60s than in the mid west?

The above thought got me thinking about cities about me. I am heading to Vegas next weekend and was wondering if anyone has experience working with coins from casinos. I will not be gambling any so I will have time, but is it worth my vacation time to hunt in vegas?

Thanks for all your help and Im glad to finally be a participating member.
 
Upvote 0
Only if you plan to head downtown or some non-strip casinos as the casinos on the strip all are ticket types with no coins.

I haven't been there in a couple years now, so I assume they still have a few casinos downtown that use coins, but they may be more minimal than even when I was there.

I wouldn't expect great finds, but you can find a few. I even pulled a Franklin and a walker along with a few 90's and 40's when I was there last, but I think I was just lucky and wouldn't expect that to happen very often.
 
I would love to know what the results are in Vegas. After all that's where a lot of halves have been used. That's where Ted Binion accumulated all those bags of 90%ers before he died. I'm sure you'll get a ton of casino halves. Halves that are extremely beat up from Casino use. I don't think any of the board members here are in Vegas so no one can tell you what it's like. I would like to know. You should take one for the team.. order a box, tell us the results so we'll know whether to order or not when we visit. One positive there is easy dumping. Casinos all have coin counters and so you can dump there to your hearts content. Although, I would be too tempted to gamble my cash away after I trade in some dumps.

I remember when I was in College, I went up to Tahoe and cashed in a box of halves. I went and played Baccarrat and lost $400. I tend to stay away from them if I can. It was my college financial aid money :(
 
SFBayArea said:
I would love to know what the results are in Vegas. After all that's where a lot of halves have been used. That's where Ted Binion accumulated all those bags of 90%ers before he died. I'm sure you'll get a ton of casino halves. Halves that are extremely beat up from Casino use. I don't think any of the board members here are in Vegas so no one can tell you what it's like. I would like to know. You should take one for the team.. order a box, tell us the results so we'll know whether to order or not when we visit. One positive there is easy dumping. Casinos all have coin counters and so you can dump there to your hearts content. Although, I would be too tempted to gamble my cash away after I trade in some dumps.

I remember when I was in College, I went up to Tahoe and cashed in a box of halves. I went and played Baccarrat and lost $400. I tend to stay away from them if I can. It was my college financial aid money :(

All casinos do NOT have coin counters. In fact, I think you'll have a very hard time finding a coin counter in a casino. Apparently SF has been out of the loop too long. :) The slot machines have went 'coinless' in almost all casinos in the country. They no longer take in or pay out in coin. Instead, you get a 'voucher' that can be cashed in or simply used as money in another slot machine.
 
I actually have done alot of CRH in vegas and just moved away from there a few months ago. All the casinos go through halves using them for the different table games. I have been turned away by alot of them trying to buy halves. The ones that have sold to me only will part with $100 worth and they appear to have been rolled by the casino itself. Only in one instance did my wife find a new casino on the south part of the strip that parted with $200 which yielded 41/40% and 1 90%. These rolls were obviously not rolled by the casino as they were in the string and sons wrappers. If you have your car, there are many banks there to hit up and I am sure you would be better off getting your coins from there.

As for the dumping of the coins, I have seen coin counters in the casinos but they were coinstars so they will take their 10%. You can always re-roll them and dump them at a cage but if your are not gambling with the money you may only get away with that trick once or twice!

Good luck in Vegas! Hopefully you leave with more than you go with! HH, SE
 
I haven't been to Vegas or Laughlin in a few yrs,but as a blackjack player,I see the pit boss come thru and "exchange" half silvers.I guess as the boss,they can scan thru the drawer.I'd doubt you'll find any more than normal at the bank.
 
I would think it would be worth a try even if you could only get $100 in halves at a time.
 
never intended to say not to try...just don't get the rolls at the casino,as the pit boss has already looked.Try banks instead
 
Hunt at any town you visit unless of course its in " my back yard "
 
ArkieBassMan said:
SFBayArea said:
I would love to know what the results are in Vegas. After all that's where a lot of halves have been used. That's where Ted Binion accumulated all those bags of 90%ers before he died. I'm sure you'll get a ton of casino halves. Halves that are extremely beat up from Casino use. I don't think any of the board members here are in Vegas so no one can tell you what it's like. I would like to know. You should take one for the team.. order a box, tell us the results so we'll know whether to order or not when we visit. One positive there is easy dumping. Casinos all have coin counters and so you can dump there to your hearts content. Although, I would be too tempted to gamble my cash away after I trade in some dumps.

I remember when I was in College, I went up to Tahoe and cashed in a box of halves. I went and played Baccarrat and lost $400. I tend to stay away from them if I can. It was my college financial aid money :(

All casinos do NOT have coin counters. In fact, I think you'll have a very hard time finding a coin counter in a casino. Apparently SF has been out of the loop too long. :) The slot machines have went 'coinless' in almost all casinos in the country. They no longer take in or pay out in coin. Instead, you get a 'voucher' that can be cashed in or simply used as money in another slot machine.

Yeah, I have been out of the loop. Last time I was in Vegas was 2003. Last time I was in a casino was an Indian casino in 2008. In 2003, I went to a local Indian Casino called Cash Creek and they had half dollar slots. Some guy got a 40%er from a slot machine but couldn't put it back in the machine. The machine didn't accept silver. My guess is that it was loaded with coins by rolls from their bank but discriminates against people trying to put silver in. It's a shame that they don't pay out in coins anymore. I always thought it was cool. It's lost it's luster in my opinion.
 
SFBayArea said:
I would love to know what the results are in Vegas. After all that's where a lot of halves have been used. That's where Ted Binion accumulated all those bags of 90%ers before he died. I'm sure you'll get a ton of casino halves. Halves that are extremely beat up from Casino use. I don't think any of the board members here are in Vegas so no one can tell you what it's like. I would like to know. You should take one for the team.. order a box, tell us the results so we'll know whether to order or not when we visit. One positive there is easy dumping. Casinos all have coin counters and so you can dump there to your hearts content. Although, I would be too tempted to gamble my cash away after I trade in some dumps.

I remember when I was in College, I went up to Tahoe and cashed in a box of halves. I went and played Baccarrat and lost $400. I tend to stay away from them if I can. It was my college financial aid money :(

Just read up on Binion. From wiki

"After his death, it was discovered by Nye County sheriff's deputies[3] that Ted had had a 12-foot-deep vault built on the desert floor on a piece of property he owned in Pahrump, 60 miles (97 km) west of Las Vegas. The concrete bunker contained six tons of silver bullion, Horseshoe Casino chips, paper currency, and more than 100,000 rare coins, including Carson City silver dollars—many in mint condition—estimated to be worth between $7 million and $14 million—that were once housed in the Horseshoe vault. The Pahrump underground vault would play a major role in the investigation into Binion's death.[4]

After Ted Binion was banned from the casino, he contracted construction of the underground vault with MRT Transport, a trucking company owned by Rick Tabish. MRT trucks were used to transport the silver to the vault, and the only two people who had the combination to the vault were Binion and Tabish.

The vault was discovered two days after Binion died, whereupon Nye County sheriff's deputies arrested Binion's associate Rick Tabish and two other men unearthing the silver.

Binion hid millions in and around his Las Vegas home, all of which went missing after his death. It is rumored to be buried on the property under odd mounds in the front and back yards. After the trial much of the silver was given to his daughter, but a large portion still remains unclaimed at the courthouse."

Looks like the place to go is the courthouse and his home.... :)
 
I figure i should post a las vegas hunting update.

In the first $100 of halves i got from bally's I found 2 40% so I was hooked. Over the next few days I went through $1610 in halves picking up at various casinos and dumping at a few i found who took. Mainly I dumped at planet hollywood because I knew if they asked I could show my room key and have an out.

All in all, in terms of ratio las vegas turned out to be my best ever. Searched $1610 in halves and found 13 x 40% and 6 x 90% (1 x franklin). That is just over 4ozt.

To put it in perspective, I have searched $28,000 in coin in the last 3 months with 12.5ozt total. For 4zot to come from $1610 means vegas did relatively good for me.

I will keep my vegas tricks to myself unless you PM me. i can tell you which casinos give coin and which i found that take and do not take.

Anyway thanks for the advice before my trip.
 
:icon_sunny: allways hunt if you can !!!!!! never stop !!!! its a no brainer!!!!!!! :sign13:
HH
Tom
 
recently bought 1500 of taj mahal wrapped halves here in ny. I figure they were old due to the fact that none were new. I did find about 6 40%ers. I would always hunt for halves anywhere in the US.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom