Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now on my fourth headphone set in the last year. The wires break inside the insulation right where the wire enters the strain relief on the end that plugs into the detector.

I can't keep buying headphones and tossing them every 3 or 4 months because the wire breaks. I have tried repairing them. No problem soldering the tiny wires back together. I use shrink tubing to insulate the repairs on the three wires.

But then I have a weak spot in the wire and it doesn't take much of a snag and pull to break them apart again at the repair. The original insulation absorbs the strain but shrink tubing doesn't. And that spot is subject to breaking again.

What is the solution? I am looking at the Gray Ghost Headphones that have the cord that you can unplug from the headphone and replace the whole thing that way.

Does anyone have a good cure for the problem?

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem and ended up using a angled jackplug from Maplins in the U.K. that screws together with two small screws. I do the wiring then put a blob of silicone bathroom sealer inside and screw both halves together.
The excess is forced out. Wipe off and leave overnight.
The sealer makes the jack rainproof and holds the headphone cord in place.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Just go ahead and buy a good set like the Grey Ghosts and that will solve the issue. I have been using the same Ratphones for 3 years now and never had a problem like I used to have.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or install a jack on your favorite headphones and buy guitar patch cords.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
Or install a jack on your favorite headphones and buy guitar patch cords.
Guitar patch cord. Now I knew someone would have ideas here. That's a good one. I can splice a jack socket on the headphone wire and then add the patch cord. Sounds like a thing worth trying.

Thanks GibH

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George,
One thing I did years ago on my Koss headphones from whites, was to cut the plug off that came w/it. Went to Radio Shack and bought a gold angle plug. I rewired it and put a little bit of clear silicon around the opening where the main wire enters the plug. It has never worked loose in 15 years now.
Doc

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
newenglander said:
New here, but I swear i've heard people talking about wireless headphones.

My concern with wireless headphones would be that I would end up with a set up that sent radio signals that mucked around with my metal detector. And with anyone near by me also.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grey Ghost (standard configeration) seem to be the ones that fail most where the wire meets the plastic right angle plug which might be why they started to offer the version with the swappable leads.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here. If you need a set let mew know.
I am an Authorized Dealer for Detector-Pro
I use these myself and I love em!

Gray Ghost NDT Headphones

Does this sound familiar... A month of research and you’ve just hiked two miles into the forest after pinpointing an old cellar hole on an old map. You can only afford one set of quality headphones. As you setup your detector and power on, you hear nothing! Suddenly you remember the tree branch that caught and yanked your headphone cord really hard. Luckily you packed mini-phones, but they have an 1/8" plug and you lost the adaptor! Now you’ll have to settle for using the loudspeaker to hear the deepest old coins, jewelry and relics... That is if your detector has a built-in speaker!

If this has happened to you, you already know the value of having a good backup. Our universal GRAY GHOST® NDT headphones are based on the strong features of our already famous Gray Ghost Originals. For the NDT, we have engineered a very rugged detachable cord with a high-quality connector system and we give you TWO complete cords! You can have your choice of cords with two 1/4" plugs or two 1/8" plugs... Or you can have one of each size.

Attachments

• Gray_Ghost_NDT.jpg
    Gray_Ghost_NDT.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Gray_Ghost_NDT_Connector.jpg
    Gray_Ghost_NDT_Connector.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 286
OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H,
Can you buy additional spare cords? Or when you destroy the first two are you out of luck?

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I am using these cheapo HO900 wireless 49 Mhz headphones from Walmart $20.

But they are mono so you need a stereo to mono adapter but very nice to use.

B

BIG61AL

I use a pair of Bose noise reduction head phones. the cord is detaches from the head phones so if it gets snagged it just pops outand I just plug it back in. if it breaks its like 3 bucks for a replacement.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Curious The George said:
4-H,
Can you buy additional spare cords? Or when you destroy the first two are you out of luck?
You can buy as many cords as your heart desires.
ALL headphones sooner or later get "wire fatigue" It only makes sense that if your going to buy a decent pair to go with these.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check Radio Shack and Ask For Help!

Find a Really Good metal shell Connector with end spring strain relief, may cost a few bucks. If you can get one, a right angle connector will probably work better.
In addition, put 2 or 3 inches of heat shrink tubing over cord end to ease bending into straight connector. Tie, secure, wrap, or crimp cable mechanically into connector plug to prevent cable twisting.

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Wishfulthinker said. That type with the metal spring is what I bought at Radio shack many years ago, and with the silicon it has never failed. Was a gold plug at that!
Doc

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taping the cord in place will help, but some Grey Ghosts NDTs is what you want! I have 2 sets, with 5 cords, so should be set for a very long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread