What's new

Heart shaped tag SOLVED: Odd Fellows insignia any more info would be appreciated

mykee1966

Greenie
Joined
Jun 11, 2009
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hi,
This is my first post & I would like to say the knowledge on here is remarkable. I am usually able to find to find some kind of information on the things I find but this one I can't find anything. I found this on a cabin site that I believe dates back to the early 1830's to maybee 1880's from what I researched.
I found this thin brass heart shaped tag about the size of a half dollar. It has 2 tabs on the top & what looks like one missing on the bottom that would of been used to hold it on to whatever it went to. It has several symbols on it that I have no ideal what they mean. First on the top there is 2 hands shaking, below that it looks like a single hand (kinda like if you held your left hand in front of you to make a shadow puppet) but it could be something else maybe a birds head or even a fish. Thats the hardest one to make out because of the hole in the middle. On the bottom there is an animal laying down, to me it looks mostly like a fox because of the bushy tail, pointed ears & long snout but it could be something else. On the left there is 3 links to a chain & on the right theres what looks like a pair of scissors? The lines form a cross & theres a loop on the top of one of the lines where you might of put your finger in. The hole goes through where the other side would of been so I can't see the other line. Theres also what looks like rays coming from the center. And theres 3 holes in it that seem to be made intentionally. They are all rectagular shaped holes but the one on
the top left is the only one still rectangular, over time the other two have become a little more round. The back is the same as the front, everthing was pressed from the back causing them to be raised on the front.
Well I hope someone can ID this because I hate not knowing anything about something I found. I was going to put olive oil on it but wasn't sure if that would make the pitures harder to see.
I added a closeup picture from the back of what I think looks like scissors. I hope it shows. The circle does not quite touch the line but instead forms a small arch away from it. And as stated above the other side is missing because of the hole.
Thanks,
Tracy
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1066.webp
    IMG_1066.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1065.webp
    IMG_1065.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_1073_1.webp
    IMG_1073_1.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1066.webp
    IMG_1066.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_1065.webp
    IMG_1065.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1081.webp
    IMG_1081.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 383
Re: Heart shaped tag

I agree with Fox on the bottom :icon_thumright: Looks like some kind of fraternity design. No idea on function at the moment :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Heart shaped tag

I don't know but the three interlocking chain links remind me of the I.O.O.F., then the clasped hands represent a farewell to earthly existence, also unity. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Heart shaped tag

diggummup said:
I don't know but the three interlocking chain links remind me of the I.O.O.F. But then the clasped hands represent a farewell to earthly existence, also unity. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Diggummup you might be on to something. What I think might be scissors are more likely crossed staffs which could mean comfort for the bereaved or suffering from loss of loved one. The middle symbol could be hands praying or asking god for eternal life & maybee what I think could be a fox might be a dog which could mean a good master worthy of love. These are just thoughts & hopefully somebody with more knowledge will chime in.

Tracy
 
Upvote 0
Re: Heart shaped tag

diggummup said:
I don't know but the three interlocking chain links remind me of the I.O.O.F. But then the clasped hands represent a farewell to earthly existence, also unity. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
I think you are correct about it being Odd Fellows. The 3 links, heart, clasped hands, crossed sheperd staffs and an all seeing eye.
oddfellows crooks.webpoddfellows crooks.webpOddfellows international Order.webp
 

Attachments

  • odd fellows heart.webp
    odd fellows heart.webp
    12 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0
Re: Heart shaped tag

By George I think you got it, Odd Fellows insignia! Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: Heart shaped tag

Thanks every one for the replies. Diggummup thanks for pointing us in the right direction & Bigcpreshunter after seeing your picture of a eye with rays thats what the middle symbol is. Don't know how "eye" could of not "seen" that. I'm going to mark it solved, it is definetely Odd Fellows insignia but would still love to know if anyone has any ideals on the age or what it might of been used for or attached to. I am still trying to date this site.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Heart shaped tag

mykee1966 said:
Thanks every one for the replies. Diggummup thanks for pointing us in the right direction & Bigcpreshunter after seeing your picture of a eye with rays thats what the middle symbol is. Don't know how "eye" could of not "seen" that. I'm going to mark it solved, it is definetely Odd Fellows insignia but would still love to know if anyone has any ideals on the age or what it might of been used for or attached to. I am still trying to date this site.

Maybe a scabbard.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom