What's new

Heartbreaker: First Silver Dollar?

ScaredOfClowns

Full Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
158
Reaction score
639
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I found my first silver dollar today, but just my luck - it looks like it was burned in a fire.

I can hardly make out any details, but I'm pretty sure it's a silver dollar: it rings up as a 92 on my AT Pro, has a reeded edge, and has about the same diameter and weight and weight (38mm and 26.5 grams) as a Peace dollar.

My first big silver, but it's pretty unrecognizable. It sure would have been nice to find this in better shape!

Both Sides - Small.webpReeded Edge - Small.webpIn the Hole - Small.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 12
Do you have a peace dollar to do a side by side comparison with?
8-)
It's interesting that the detail would melt off like that and the shape of the coin doesn't seem too distorted for being exposed to high temperatures.

I would do a silver test to confirm its metallic composition because the high vdi isn't always indicative of the type metal the artifact is. Also look with some loops to find any possible details. I hope it is big silver!
 
the neck line on the left image does resemble a peace dollar. I'd say 90% chance it's a silver dollar. Too bad it's busted, but it's still more than most of us will ever find regarding a silver dollar.
 
Congrats on pulling that silver Dollar, no matter the condition. Somehow it accidently made it's way to the burn pile.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom