Heavy Black melted looking Schist/Conglomerate I found today

sickrocks

Greenie
Jul 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I hope everyone is doing well and I hope you?re all getting out on the hunt regularly��

Today I was hiking up on the mountain tops outside Fallon Nevada and found this and a few more in the saddle between two peaks around 7,000 ft.

I saw it from several hundred yards away because it was shiny. It looks like a dark green schist like material but melted and super dense. If anyone has an idea I sure would appreciate any feedback�� There are still about 5-6 pieces out there but we?re too heavy to haul out by pack. The terrain getting up there isn?t for trucks or motorcycles. The whole area around these rocks is soft, sandy material.
3BF422FA-CE13-491F-8EB1-7B0CC93044DC.jpeg
FD1AD894-71C0-476B-8B22-43E054B2B893.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 2

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like volcanic hardstone to me, probably has a lot of chromium and manganese. I've seen that stuff around Grimes Point in the past.

OP
OP
S

sickrocks

Greenie
Jul 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking volcanic too

Looks like volcanic hardstone to me, probably has a lot of chromium and manganese. I've seen that stuff around Grimes Point in the past.

I was thinking that too but the dark green had me stumped. We have a lot of hardstone but it?s easily identifiable most of the time. I was thinking a volcanic andesite like stone?�� definitely chromium with that color��

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread