Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello all,
Dug this tonight at a ball field full of clad... weighs 10.4 oz. First glance I thought it was a big lump of lead. Part of it is greenish, resembling what copper would do underground. The smooth other mineral isn't lead, but I don't know what else it could be. This thing is very cool, whether it's something that originated in nature or someone's firepit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking....

Russ

IMG_4040.JPG KCJQ2683.JPG DCKL1910.JPG QRBO8382.JPG

And the back of this thing... looks like a lot of copper to me.

AEKP1823.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4045.JPG
    IMG_4045.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 50

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like melted copper but I agree it is very cool looking. I think it would become a show piece for me. How far into the ground was it? If it was deep maybe it originated somewhere else if it came in as fill dirt.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply, it was about 8” down with an 87 on the deus at 14.4 khz. It would sit on a desk very nicely...
Maybe some ultrasonic baths to clear away more collected dirt...

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a show piece for sure:occasion14: As to its origin, not sure. If another TNetter doesn't answer, then I'd do 3 things: 1) post on the Rocks/Gems sub-forum at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/rocks-gems/; 2) show/send the pictures to a geologist; 3) find out what was there before the ball field. Look at some old aerial photos/maps and ask some old-timers.

Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool! If I were you...I'd bust it into two pieces and find out the specific gravity of each side. That might go a long way in helping to narrow it down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. The smooth silvery metal is very hard and came out of the ground like that.

I now am hearing stories of a foundry in the area (1/2 mile or so) that may be the contributing factor we needed. Stories suggest it burned to the ground in the mid to late 1800’s... maybe this is part of the remnants.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread