What's new

heavy metal ore

M_M

Greenie
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this material in the desert with my metal detector. It is the heaviest weight density I have ever come across. Makes me excited to wonder what a gold nugget really feels like. I sent a piece of the material to have it checked for being a meteorite. However a student checked it instead of the professor and concluded it wasn't. I assumed it is iron ore.

It isn't magnetic. The inside looks like metal. The blackish blue dust that comes off of it streaks a reddish brown but doesn't get picked up by a magnet either. It shines a little peacock color under a loupe.

Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • P1000854.webp
    P1000854.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 2,281
  • P1000862.webp
    P1000862.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 362
  • P1000860.webp
    P1000860.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 444
  • P1000858.webp
    P1000858.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 387
cant help with what it is, but i can tell you that it isnt iron ore. if it was it would have at least some rust color and it would be attracted to a magnet
 
Upvote 0
Tungsten ore :dontknow: In what state did you find them? Breezie

PS: Welcome to the forum!!!
 
Upvote 0
I found them in California between an undisclosed GT and railroad tracks. I also found a type of button ore I posted awhile back.

The top picture shows a clean cut across the top that has aged.

In the second picture, the shiny part is from a piece I just pried off and has no oxidation yet.

A previous oxidizing piece is starting to turn a brassy copper color.

I think it is manganese ore. It is all metal though and the pieces are the size of coal give or take.
 
Upvote 0
Peacock ore is copper, my guess is a high grade copper ore.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom