What's new

Heel plate maybe

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
2,603
Reaction score
806
Golden Thread
2
Location
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a heel plate to a boot? The back says 1/2. All the Confederate heel plates ive seen have a 3 on the back and are much larger. I added some more pics including one of the back were it says 1/2. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • Picture 060.webp
    Picture 060.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 353
  • Picture 061.webp
    Picture 061.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Picture 062.webp
    Picture 062.webp
    37.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Picture 063.webp
    Picture 063.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 319
Sure is and nice find!
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Yes.

Google "heart heel plate" and check out the images...
http://www.saylerscreekrelics.com/dugrelics.htm
 
Upvote 0
sscindercoop said:
Added a pic with quarter for scale.
I see what youre saying. They must have had small feet. :dontknow:

My link said this: EXCELLENT HEART HEEL PLATE - These are very scarce, this one is in very excellent condition. It is brass, has a great patina, dug in Richmond, Virginia; capital of the Confederacy. It measures 44 mm across and about 47 mm in length, also has the number "3" on the back. http://www.saylerscreekrelics.com/dugrelics.htm

47mm is under 2 inches and about 2 quarters dia.
 

Attachments

  • heel plate 3.webp
    heel plate 3.webp
    1.3 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
Is the heel plate meant to cover the whole heel ? Can anyone post pics of Confederate Cavalry boot bottoms? Thanks
 
Upvote 0
I've also seen them made out of lead and IMO it's a Confederate Cavalry boot heel plate. I can't explain the stamped number on yours. In which State did you find the heel plate? Find location doesn't mean CW activity at find location, however the relic is CW.
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
I've also seen them made out of lead and IMO it's a Confederate Cavalry boot heel plate. I can't explain the stamped number on yours. In which State did you find the heel plate? Find location doesn't mean CW activity at find location, however the relic is CW.
He wants to know why its so small.
 
Upvote 0
Found in Ny has anyone seen one this size with 1/2 on the back. Thanks
 
Upvote 0
IMO the 'signal/message function' was more important than actual protection of the boot heel. I don't know the answer to the stamped 1/2 and 3 :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
IMO the 'signal/message function' was more important than actual protection of the boot heel. I don't know the answer to the stamped 1/2 and 3 :dontknow:
Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
I would imagine they are size numbers because your 1/2 is smaller than the 3 size. The 3 is a little under 1-3/4 inch wide (44mm) and yours is about 1-1/4 inch wide.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom