Hello from Roatan Island

RoatanBill

Greenie
Mar 9, 2016
Roatan Island
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have no detecting gear, no experience, and have never even seen a detector up close. I live on a tourist destination island. They come for the diving and beaches as I did before moving here.

Recently I got interested in detecting after stumbling across one YouTube video that inevitably led to weeks of watching more of them. I've done some research and am interested in getting a detector for the surf, preferably one good to dive with. Asking "What detector should I buy" isn't logical, so I won't do it. I am interested in facts concerning both PI and VLF technology machines. As an Electrical Engineer / Professional Software Developer, I lean towards the PI machine as my natural instinct would be to dig every target - turn disc off even if available.

I have no idea what the beaches are like here from the "trash" perspective. What I do know is that thousands of tourists hit the beaches almost every week. I want to find gold; I have enough nickles, dimes and quarters.

Lurking on various forums and reading threads, some ancient, I get the impression that the stock recommendation is to get an Xcal using its reputation as a good machine and its ability to discriminate as the primary non empirical reasons. I would prefer testable evidence for a machines ability to find gold rings or at least side by side comparisons of machines in a given environment. Having focused on a Sand Shark rather quickly, I was disappointed when I saw the video: Skip to 10:00 to see the result.

So, now I'm on this site to get some answers, hopefully to intelligent questions.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, here in the states, the biggest issue is getting enough good targets in your scoop. A PI will give great depth, but you will go through an enormous amount of nails to find the good targets. If you hunt and dig 100 targets a day, eliminating the digging of nails will allow you to theoretically dig more gold rings.

The Minelab Excalibur and CTX 3030 are well known water detectors using multi frequency technology. In addition to decent depth, they allow you to eliminate (discriminate) digging all the nails from old piers. I've visited your beautiful island many times, and hope you get the opportunity to share your future hunts here on Tnet. Let me know what you find at Tabayana beach!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Bill!

Top Member Reactions