Hello!!! I'm new to this and I found this hatchet and I've searched for a similiar one with the notch at the bottom of the blade with no luck.

Junior74

Oct 23, 2022
16665058361287656791187122498755.jpg

Upvote 9

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junior let me welcome you to Treasurenet. Could that be some type of old shingling tool ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd one... never seen one like this before... perhaps it broke off... slim chance the break being a perfect "square" ... but perhaps it was shaped to this after the break.

I see no use for it being purposely notched like that...
The only reason i could see for this to be purposely made this way is to act as some sort of "stop" or measure point related to depth... which IMO is totally possible /probable.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought is it could be used for splitting wood .

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very odd. Hammer hatchets used for roofing work and other purposes typically have a notch on the beard for nail-lifting. Sometimes it can be close enough to the cutting edge of the bit that it creates an area prone to snapping off if mis-used. Like this:

Hammer Axe.jpg

PS: Welcome to Tnet.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Junior, that's the name my grandfather called me because he could never get my name right.... that's an interesting find....where did you find it?
Come on😁 now we/I wanna know your name Mr. C. S. Magnet🤘

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very odd. Hammer hatchets used for roofing work and other purposes typically have a notch on the beard for nail-lifting. Sometimes it can be close enough to the cutting edge of the bit that it creates an area prone to snapping off if mis-used. Like this:

View attachment 2052022

PS: Welcome to Tnet.
Yes... this is definitely my first thought... would have been ground to that shape......
and your average grinding wheel would do / make this shape quite easily.

OP... perhaps better clear close up pictures of the aforementioned area would help / solve / substantiate theories.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasurenet. From the shape of the hammer end of the hatchet I believe you have a lath hatchet used to install the wooden lathes that were under plaster before drywall was used. From your picture it looks like the blade is shorter than normal and appears to be cut off. The notch also looks intentionally cut. I have no idea why it was modified that way, but sometimes people do strange things for their own special reasons. Nice find, stay safe and good luck in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread