What's new

Hello! Thank you, and Question

CMSM

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 19, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Hello! Thank you for letting me join your forum! I’m working on a project and would like to talk with anyone who might be, for lack of a better term, thinking about retiring from hunting a treasure they have been looking for for years.

I want to get a better understanding of what happens when a treasure hunter, again for lack of a better term, retires. What do they do with all their research and knowledge they have about the treasure they have spent years hunting for? I have talked to a handful of people who say that giving it over to a family member is rare. So, I am wondering what really happens to all that work?

I would love to talk with anyone in the position now, or thinking about it in the near future, and hear your thoughts on the matter.
Thanks!
 
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina!
 
If you’re writing a book or paper or something, I’d love to see that when it is finished. I’ve never considered what you’re asking before and it has peaked my curiosity and is a great question to ask. I’d especially be curious about the follow up story and if someone received material how much was considered valid, and/or did they have any luck finding the treasure.
 
A Wild Goose Chase?

Successful Treasure hunters have a very sensitive wild goose chase meter. The key to success in this realm IMHO is to filter out "stories" and "legends" passed down from wild goose chases that somewhere took a hard left turn through faulty investigation, misrepresentation and often times, outright fraud.

I would ask;

What would be the incentive for an old timer to hand down credible details of a treasure hunt that never came to fruition? It is most probably a long story of who knows what length with who knows what origin and unknown, unverifiable authenticity. One man or woman's life-long wild goose chase passed down to another has dubious value.

My heartfelt advice is to learn from the successes of others. :)

An example for others is the Atocha Shipwreck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuestra_Señora_de_Atocha

This remains a well documented success story in the sense of having vectors on the eventual (general) location and ultimately the exact location found through a precise, well organized method of investigation including filtration of wild goose chases that avoided lost investment and most importantly lost TIME.

Kudos to Mel Fisher and his team.

Thank you! :)

- Geowizard
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom