What's new

Help cleaning a cast iron notary seal stamp

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
2,777
Reaction score
6,885
Golden Thread
0
Location
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to clean this for a friend. I was about to put this in an electrolysis tank. Any ideas, I would love to get it working. Found in Cripple Creek so I bet it's something good. I didn't want to mess up the brass. Thanks for any help.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20240729_130904409_MP.webp
    IMG_20240729_130904409_MP.webp
    636.9 KB · Views: 110
If mine, I'd just go simple and sandblast it clean first and then see if I could just give it a paint job to look presentable. I see those from time to time in antique stores and my local Lafayette indoor flea market which opened up the year after I moved here now 34 years ago. A place I've found many treasures at over the years. Those things I believe go for around $25. to $35. it seems in unrestored as-is condition.
 
If mine, I'd just go simple and sandblast it clean first and then see if I could just give it a paint job to look presentable. I see those from time to time in antique stores and my local Lafayette indoor flea market which opened up the year after I moved here now 34 years ago. A place I've found many treasures at over the years. Those things I believe go for around $25. to $35. it seems in unrestored as-is condition.
Thanks for the reply Tamrock! I have 2 in my store! Im just hoping the brass seal is something important. I've always wanted a little sand blaster!!!
 
Thanks for the reply Tamrock! I have 2 in my store! Im just hoping the brass seal is something important. I've always wanted a little sand blaster!!!
Yeah it could likely have a seal related to some local history. You could soak it in vintage awhile and scrub it with a wire brush also. I did that on some old rusty stuff I've found around here and it loosens up the layers of rust somewhat.
 
I might add that I've used a brass bristle wire brush instead of steel after a white vinegar soak.
 
Nice find !!! I dug one , it was from the Cripple Creek mining Co :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom