What's new

Help date a backmark

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend found a navy button with the eagle facing right and a "Superior Quality" backmark. I think the button is post 1941. Can anyone tell me when this backmark was used? Sorry, I don't have a picture but here is a link to one that looks like it with a different backmark.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120764057446
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
All I can tell you is that eagle is post 1941.
 
Upvote 0
fyrffytr1 said:
That's what I thought but he posted a link to this site and the bottom right button. If you read the description, there is no mention of Civil War.
http://www.civilwaroutpost.com/33.html
Wow. It appears the listing is a mistake. Its not worth any more than $2.
 
Upvote 0
Just speaking up with confirmation... yes, that listing is a mistaken identification. According to the Albert button-book (see page 103), that button is 1941-or-later. The website's owner is a longtime personal friend of mine. We used to go relic-digging together, back during "the good old days." I'll send him an email ...and I know he is the type of guy who will correct the listing.

By the way... when the Albert book says "eagle facing right," Albert means the eagle is facing to its right, not to the right side of the button. But the website owner says "facing left" meaning the left side of the button.

Unfortunately, many truly honest civil war relic dealers do not seem to have looked at the 20th-Century buttons section in the Albert button-book.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom