Help Dating an Anchor

Mat961

Greenie
Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this anchor when i was diving 300 m from shore at the depth of 14 M . any idea about it ? and is it worth to remove it?

the anchor height is about 2 meter

anchor 2.jpg anchor 1.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting... let me ask... did you look for other materials / possible wreck ?

Also ... Did you follow in the line direction ?

I have a lot of interest in this... more so than most postings of this type... for several reasons.

One...

This has been there for a LONG time.

Also... did you happen to notice the resemblance of a cannon next to it ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF that is a cannon next to it... buddy... you just found a wreck. heh

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
First, Don't remove it unless you can conserve it. Secondly, leave it as a reference at least until you've done a site survey. There is a market for well preserved ancient anchors.

OP
OP
M

Mat961

Greenie
Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting... let me ask... did you look for other materials / possible wreck ?

Also ... Did you follow in the line direction ?

I have a lot of interest in this... more so than most postings of this type... for several reasons.

One...

This has been there for a LONG time.

Also... did you happen to notice the resemblance of a cannon next to it ?

I didnt notice that before i just did!!! As you can see there is no line attached to it so maybe it was cut lose because it was stuck! By the way, the anchor is located near the city of byblos in lebanon that was ruled by the phonecians. And no there isni sign of wreck near it, it might be washed away by the rough sea especially thay it os on a shallow water.

OP
OP
M

Mat961

Greenie
Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, Don't remove it unless you can conserve it. Secondly, leave it as a reference at least until you've done a site survey. There is a market for well preserved ancient anchors.

It might be made of stone not wood/steel

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman anchors found in Malta: Stone anchors were mostly round with a hole in them, Roman anchors were simple straight pieces. Wood is not going to last exposed like that.

malta_roman-anchors_123t.jpg

It is very well encrusted, but one can still make out some of the details..being rounded at the bottom, looks mid 18th century. No chain attached, which wasnt widely used until mid 1800's

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread