What's new

Help from experienced hunters

bblaha

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
533
Reaction score
157
Golden Thread
0
I'm pretty knew to this but am extremely addicted already, everyone on here has been a great help. Anyone have tips that can help me locate an Indian camp to dig, anything is greatly appreciated, thanks
 
Upvote 0
Check your local laws before anything. After that the internet has turned into a very good tool. You could start searching your area adding the word native American..archaeological site... you get the idea. Places with high ground near bodies of water especially near where two or more meet is a good bet.your local historical society probably has a website. Or your states university. Good luck and welcome aboard.
 
My best friend is google earth ill find a river and just follow it down looking for bends, plowed fields near by, low spots on the river, light colored sandy areas. Then drive there and check it out. My best spots I walk have been found that way. Good luck!

Johnathan Griswold
 
I'm 31 years old, and have been hunting with my father my whole life. I, as you can probably tell am no expert either. I have been taught that they always camped above the flood line, but near the water. Also, look for chips of one particular type stone. In my area, I don't know why, but, you will find piles of white quarts chips in one spot, and chips of a different stone , in some instances, 50 foot over. Also , in some fields, old coals can be found every year after the first plowing. Mineral rich land is also good. Red clay is my favorite, because it packs, and things don't sink in the ground as far. Hope this helps you some. Also, remember, they, like you, were human. What do you do?
 
Thanks! I'm
Glad to get these good responses it'll help a lot
 
the old timers in my area are alot of help they are always willing to bend an ear and tell me wear they always found artifacts while working the feilds . i will haft to agree with gator boy about the water and flood line around my area higher ground around water has paid off well for me ,and the rivers and creeks near these areas are great places to look if conditions allow for sifting or snorkeling.
 
How do you pick a good location to sift
 
Find an area of the creek..stream..river..that holds gravel. Usually near a bend. Or an area that has a layer of gravel or even clay not far below the loose material on the surface. I find it best to eyeball hunt an area first. sifting at least for me is after finding an area to be productive. Kinda a phase two.I even know guys who build boxes with glass bottoms they hold on the water's surface and scan the bottom that way.
 
Last edited:
Sift in a spot that the water is moving, but not enough to wash your sifter away, I normally put mine in about 6 inches of water. When you get lots of black sand, call me! You can have all the artifacts at that point.
 
Ha ha... golddigger
 
Won't be finding much black sand in my creek trust me haha. Thanks guys
 
gatorboy is spot on gravel . I like looking for large rocks when the river here is low most of the time the gravel will be close if not with them. here are a few of many artifact i found in just about 20 hours of looking in the gravel beds at a new spot i found this spring . water is to high right now for any type of searching. the long point is a copper spear a first for me. cant wait to get back to it found a awesome mixture of things there in a short time
 

Attachments

  • tools and points 018.webp
    tools and points 018.webp
    127.8 KB · Views: 161
  • tools and points 028.webp
    tools and points 028.webp
    351.7 KB · Views: 163
  • TOOLS AND POINTS 022.webp
    TOOLS AND POINTS 022.webp
    415.3 KB · Views: 180
  • tools and points 027.webp
    tools and points 027.webp
    289.8 KB · Views: 170
Wow a copper artifact! That's amazing! I'm 10
Minutes from the Ohio river nc
 
bblaha said:
Wow a copper artifact! That's amazing! I'm 10
Minutes from the Ohio river nc

I was in Kingsport Ky. 6 months back, and all I could do was look at that river and imagine what type treasure it held. Do you hunt the river at all?
 
Once I went magnet fishing in it and that was it. I got a really badly rusted flint lock pistol after about 2 hours of trash. The creeks I hunt are direct tributaries to it and you can see the river from where I hunt
 
bblaha said:
Once I went magnet fishing in it and that was it. I got a really badly rusted flint lock pistol after about 2 hours of trash. The creeks I hunt are direct tributaries to it and you can see the river from where I hunt

That is pretty river.
 
Ya it is, in certain parts the banks are just covvvvvered in trash though
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom