What's new

Help getting rid of coins.

tenjos

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Tn, Northern Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this has been asked before but. I have been having trouble getting rid of coins at the local banks, Especially halves. They have a fit when you bring in alot. How do you get rid of your non silver or non collectibles? Any thoughts will be appreciated. ???
 
Upvote 0
Depends on the bank. However, I've found the more local banks that pride themselves on being service minded don't have a problem doing this. I'd go to the local banks and be honest that you want to open an account at a place that will accept halves every week without a charge. If they can't, thank them and walk out.

Or find a place with a self service coin counter. If all else fails, some coinstars don't have a service charge if you get cash cards for places like Amazon. I'd say that would be only good for small amounts every now and again.

Finally, spending them locally may remove some permanently (collected by people) or knock some older halves into the banks as people remember they have them and now have enough to roll. Just put the cash you would have used back into your CRH fund.

Good luck.
 
Free coin counters are the best. Before the coin counter at my bank I would return my rolls in groups of $500 or $1000 it depends on what amounts they need to ship out.
 
I thought I might have run into trouble returning $420/$500 halves and was prepared to ask to see the rate card/schedule if they tried to charge me a fee to collect but all I got was a somewhat aggravated look from the cashier. If you have to pay a fee, I would challenge this and threaten to change banks if need be :)
 
Here is what happened to me. I was bank hunting and saw a coin machine. I asked 2 questions.
1. Is it free for customers. Yes
2. Is there a limit. No.
Good, I will start and account. ($100 minimum, no fees.)
About 6 weeks and $4500 later they tried to charge me. I reminded them of the original agreement. ( it got a little heated but I won the battle. They understand it could be construed as bait and switch which the BBB and probably the Feds don't like to much.

Now, no fee's. They give me the plastic brinks bags and I bring them to the counter with $500 in them. About $1000 a week.

The tellers are nice.
The "customer service lady" that tried to charge me but I won the battle with? She just gives me dirty looks when I come in.

WOO Hoo, I love winning the battle.
 
My dump bank has a branch for every day of the week- O and open 7 days too, and late even. I am trying to be discrete but I am not up to full potential YET. So far I have crammed $544 in halves into a 32oz plastic Folgers can- that is about all I want to carry and dump per day- I might be able to stretch it enough- nope I just checked ain't no way to fit 571 in sos I could search 8 boxes a week haha. I don't wanna be the guy carrying in a 5 gallon bucket either haha. Make sure they're counter counts half dollars too cause some of them don't. HH Mark
 
Thanks for all the replies. I will have to stop in a few of the bigger banks and try to find a coin machine and open an account at several banks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom