Help getting started on old area that has millions of signals

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night I found a park that has to have never been hunted. I have a minelab 705 gold with the 10x5 coil and a 4" sweep to the right would give 10 different signals and tones at all depths ID's. I was over whelmed. I chased a few quarters but I'm a gold jewelry lover. Don't get me wrong I want some silver but my area was hit super hard when silver went high and I wasn't detecting then,here is my chance to get down to some silver.

My question is, what should I do here? I thought about a digger 6" coil but I'm a cleaner. I dig it all, if it's repeatable I'm digging. I'm thinking I start in one area, turn the sensitivity way down and just start with 1-2" down, clean that then turn it up. What do you guys suggest on an old park, never detected and full of signals. It's in an old part of town that has gone down hill, you don't want your car breaking down at 12am in that area and I think that's what has kept others out. I know there's goodies in there from years passed I just gotta clean the recent years bottle caps and foil out before I get the good stuff.

Upvote 0
I have found parks like that, very overwhelming. The only way I know to deal with it is use a small coil and go slow. If you're a "cleaner" and this park has any size to it at all, it could take you years to clean it out.

I have had parks where its so frustrating I wish I could just go there with 100 detectors and clean it out in a weekend.

You can look at it on the bright side. If your a cleaner you will never have to look for another place to detect. :)

A sifter and grass re-seeding comes to mind!
You are the best judge of the best way for you to tackle that project because at this point in time there is no easy answer.
Pick what you think is the best spot and clean it. If you can do that with just the large coil great. If it's problematic you may need to get a smaller coil, to save your sanity!
Or get a cooler of beer (or what ever you drink) invite 100 of your closest detecting friends and have at it!

Either way I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you find lots of gold and silver jewelry! Sounds like a real good site. Let us know how it goes.

Smaller coil .. the 10x5 is too long for that kind of trash. I have the 12x8 Nell and switch to the 9" round or 4x6 when it gets like that... Can't pinpoint with the long DD.. you hit a new target before you leave the one you are trying to pinpoint!

I'd pick a likely 10' X 10' area and dig every sound. Based on what is found, continue on doing the same or find cleaner pastures. The only other option is to cherry pick with a small coil.....6" max.

Personally I would cherry pick at first. Then work my way down the disc level and pick out only targets that are clean and repeatable (works well with multi-tone).
If you have a visual ID, only targets that maintain an ID within a couple points. Most rings and coins will maintain a fairly solid ID and/or tone as you sweep from different directions.
After you clean the area of these "clearly visible" targets, you can work on the partially masked ones. Like the others said, you have your work cut out for you.

If you pick a small area and dig every target, you must consider how the sod will look like after you are finished. While I like this method for some areas.
Retrieving targets that are close to each other will most surely make the ground look chopped up even if you are meticulous.
In a park setting, I like the idea of working it little by little over a larger area so the sod has a chance to heal.

There has got to be an easier place to find gold than that considering it is still lost all the time.

I second the suggestion of using a small coil and going slow at low sensitivity, and hitting it from multiple directions.

With that many signals and being it is getting towards summer and you say you dig every repeatable signal be careful you don't leave the park looking like Swiss cheese. Then again, being in the bad part of town it may not matter as much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back