Help: good starting metal/ mineral detector

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, just getting into collections of artifacts as well as rock specimen and minerals, is there a decently priced model you'd recommend to a beginner, but am fast learner and looking to cover a lot of land

Don't really have a price estimate I'm willing to pay but was hoping under 500$, if there's any good ones out there for that?

Thanks look forward to feedback.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will be used in a rock climate, as well over dirt , sand etc. Pretty much a all in one, price isn't too big of a issue if it's something that's going to last me 10 years.

Cheers
Thanks again look forward to hearing from yoj

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need more Info. What is the location for this hunt and what type of soil? My GB II does well on Gold and Meteorites. More money and you can obtain a XP DUES.

Marvin

OP
OP
B

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need more Info. What is the location for this hunt and what type of soil? My GB II does well on Gold and Meteorites. More money and you can obtain a XP DUES.

Marvin

They are excavating my whole street and yard , want to run it over some of that, also they are excatavint where Woolley mammoth was excavated 100 years ago I'd have to think there is some relics. This is in southern Ontario
Lots of clay , sand and just would be run of the mill dirt/ soil
Also own a cottage up by the Canadian Shield its mostly all rock but lots of beaches and spots with tons of quartz and things of that nature very rocky

Just looking for something that will do the trick and won't fall apart on me, new to all of this the kids are really interested since we've started with the rocks and found all types.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makro racer 2 is a great coin and relic machine. It's one of the best vlf detectors out there and can be had at a resonable price when bought used. Check out some detector classified sites, like the "treasure related stuff" section on this site and other sites out there. You would probably want to get a handheld pinpointer too because they make locating and recovering items a lot easier. A garrett pro pointer AT is top of the line and built solid. Although there are many many other great options for machines under $500, that is just the one I would choose because of its depth, recovery speed, separation, and stability. A lot of people also use the fisher f75 LTD which is a similar unit. This is just my own opinion though :)
Here is a great review of the racer 2.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/nokta-makro/522962-review-makro-racer-2-pro-package.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makro racer 2 is a great coin and relic machine. It's one of the best vlf detectors out there and can be had at a resonable price when bought used. Check out some detector classified sites, like the "treasure related stuff" section on this site and other sites out there. You would probably want to get a handheld pinpointer too because they make locating and recovering items a lot easier. A garrett pro pointer AT is top of the line and built solid. Although there are many many other great options for machines under $500, that is just the one I would choose because of its depth, recovery speed, separation, and stability. A lot of people also use the fisher f75 LTD which is a similar unit. This is just my own opinion though :)
Here is a great review of the racer 2.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/nokta-makro/522962-review-makro-racer-2-pro-package.html

This seems like a amazing device and something that could do the jobs im looking to do, seems to have tons of functions and controls as a pretty much beginner with detecting will I be able to get pretty used to it and how to use it relatively quickly or is it going to be a job in its own trying to operate the thing?

Thanks sir

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This seems like a amazing device and something that could do the jobs im looking to do, seems to have tons of functions and controls as a pretty much beginner with detecting will I be able to get pretty used to it and how to use it relatively quickly or is it going to be a job in its own trying to operate the thing?

Thanks sir

Good question there Boomer. I would say the Racer 2 has all the settings a person would want on a good detector without being too complicated. And the screen and menu are set up pretty much as simple as can be for navigating and changing/using settings. So with reading the manual and putting in about 50 hours use I would think a person would start to have a pretty good grasp of what's going on. Reading forums and watching videos sure help too. So if you think detecting is something you'll stick with then a machine like the Racer 2 would be a fantastic choice and not too hard to use.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Racer 2 is a good detector, I'd also consider the Garrett AT Pro and the Fisher Gold Bug II. If I can help you in your decision, give me a PM or call.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
B

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question there Boomer. I would say the Racer 2 has all the settings a person would want on a good detector without being too complicated. And the screen and menu are set up pretty much as simple as can be for navigating and changing/using settings. So with reading the manual and putting in about 50 hours use I would think a person would start to have a pretty good grasp of what's going on. Reading forums and watching videos sure help too. So if you think detecting is something you'll stick with then a machine like the Racer 2 would be a fantastic choice and not too hard to use.

Super, you've been great will be the first thing I look at for sure going to look up some videos and such now you've been a big help.

Thank you sir

OP
OP
B

Boomerboom

Jun 29, 2017
Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Racer 2 is a good detector, I'd also consider the Garrett AT Pro and the Fisher Gold Bug II. If I can help you in your decision, give me a PM or call.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thanks boss, will check out the website at different units and contact you once I do settle on the one I'm going to get

Be in touch soon
Thanks

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There really are tons of options out there for coin and relic hunting but a couple other good but really simple machines at a lower price point is the Garrett AT pro and the Eurotek Pro with 11" DD coil. Both popular and great machines at their price point with the eurotek being a simple as they come. Just to throw them out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread