What's new

Help I.D.ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

tokenhead

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
848
Reaction score
65
Golden Thread
0
Location
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

:icon_thumright:,Hello everybody,I am hopeing to get this ship i.d.,I can not find anything about her yet and figured i'd show the TN crew and get an answer A.S.A.P.,i think all info needed will be in photo's...Thank's ALL and HH!!! :thumbsup:,ANY INFO ON ARTIST will also be greatly appreciated.His name appears to be Haus(?) Marx..
 

Attachments

  • Picture 389.webp
    Picture 389.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Picture 390.webp
    Picture 390.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Picture 369.webp
    Picture 369.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Picture 371.webp
    Picture 371.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,048
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

all i could find with a quick search,sorry no info on the photographer


Lakers and Bulkers Built in U.S. Shipyards since WWII
Of the 61 lakers and bulkers built in U.S. shipyards since WWII, five were built with CDS for foreign trading and 56 without CDS for domestic trading. Of the 56 domestic-trading ships, 55 were lakers and only one was an oceangoing bulker.
Bulkers Built with CDS for Foreign Trading

Year Original Name Original Owner Shipbuilder Hull # GT DWT Price ($mm) Notes

1956
Punta Piedra Bethlehem Steel
Bethlehem SP
4546

To Venezuela 1965 as Punta Piedras, sold private 1968, scrapped 1980

http://shipbuildinghistory.com/history/merchantships/postwwii/bulkers.htm
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

cw0909 said:
all i could find with a quick search,sorry no info on the photographer


Lakers and Bulkers Built in U.S. Shipyards since WWII
Of the 61 lakers and bulkers built in U.S. shipyards since WWII, five were built with CDS for foreign trading and 56 without CDS for domestic trading. Of the 56 domestic-trading ships, 55 were lakers and only one was an oceangoing bulker.
Bulkers Built with CDS for Foreign Trading

Year Original Name Original Owner Shipbuilder Hull # GT DWT Price ($mm) Notes

1956
Punta Piedra Bethlehem Steel
Bethlehem SP
4546

To Venezuela 1965 as Punta Piedras, sold private 1968, scrapped 1980

http://shipbuildinghistory.com/history/merchantships/postwwii/bulkers.htm
:icon_thumright:,Thank's for info..None the less it's a pretty cool ship,signed,dated&personalized..Framed.dated 1956 Baltimore..
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

Couldn't find much more on it. That's a cool picture.
Translated from a Venezualan website. Punta Piedras
The name T-17 in the pic below must be when it was in the Navy.

Bulk cargo ship / tank.
Shipyard: Bethlehem Steel.
Place of construction: Sparrow Point, Maryland, USA.
Hull No.: 4.586 sorting society: ABS
Registration: hallmark: l. q. p. p. IMO: 5287342
Crew: 26 passengers: 0
TRG: 5.502 GANG: 7.530 DV: 3.137 TRN: 1.848
Length: 116,00 Manga: 19,90 plank: 7,47 draught: 20' 05 "
Wineries: 3 e. 0 q: TEUs: 0
Deck equipment (quantity x tons): feathers:
Capacity bulk: 275.687 p³. Overall capacity: 234.157 p³. Freezing capacity: 0 m³.
Tanks: 12 capacity of tanks: 227.273³.
Fuel capacity: 1,628 f. o. daily consumption: 26
Two alternatives to type Unaflow steam machines; 4-cylinder (584 x 660). Skinner Engine Co.
Boilers: 2 tubular acuo; 18.6 bar.
3.860 CVi. Propellers: 2 (f) speed: 14 knots.
1956. on October 19. Launched for the Iron Mines Company. Named PUNTA PIEDRA (Venezuela).
1965. Transferred to the Venezuela Navy.
1968. Sold to fleet Mineralera Argentina (Argentina). Changed to Ore / Oil. Renamed PUNTA PIEDRAS.
1979. Radiated.
1980. Scrapped at Argentina.
Punta Piedra.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

GpSnoopy said:
Couldn't find much more on it. That's a cool picture.
Translated from a Venezualan website. Punta Piedras
The name T-17 in the pic below must be when it was in the Navy.

Bulk cargo ship / tank.
Shipyard: Bethlehem Steel.
Place of construction: Sparrow Point, Maryland, USA.
Hull No.: 4.586 sorting society: ABS
Registration: hallmark: l. q. p. p. IMO: 5287342
Crew: 26 passengers: 0
TRG: 5.502 GANG: 7.530 DV: 3.137 TRN: 1.848
Length: 116,00 Manga: 19,90 plank: 7,47 draught: 20' 05 "
Wineries: 3 e. 0 q: TEUs: 0
Deck equipment (quantity x tons): feathers:
Capacity bulk: 275.687 p³. Overall capacity: 234.157 p³. Freezing capacity: 0 m³.
Tanks: 12 capacity of tanks: 227.273³.
Fuel capacity: 1,628 f. o. daily consumption: 26
Two alternatives to type Unaflow steam machines; 4-cylinder (584 x 660). Skinner Engine Co.
Boilers: 2 tubular acuo; 18.6 bar.
3.860 CVi. Propellers: 2 (f) speed: 14 knots.
1956. on October 19. Launched for the Iron Mines Company. Named PUNTA PIEDRA (Venezuela).
1965. Transferred to the Venezuela Navy.
1968. Sold to fleet Mineralera Argentina (Argentina). Changed to Ore / Oil. Renamed PUNTA PIEDRAS.
1979. Radiated.
1980. Scrapped at Argentina.
:icon_thumright:,Thank you...That's about as far as i got...I'll wait a few til solved in the hopes someone can I.D. artist, :read2:..HH ALL!!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

Photographer's name may be Klaus Marx, but I draw a blank there. Couldn't find any "noted" photographers with the "Marx" name. Closest was a Klaus Marx that published a couple of books, one was a London, Brighton & South Coast Railway Album. Marx is actually a fairly common surname. Is there another name on the photo. I see part of "dra" left side of your bottom picture.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

Ditto ...

I searched ... Haus ~ Klaus ~ Staus ~ Straus ~ Marx ... and could not find a single result connecting the name(s) to a photographer. Which leads me to suspect he may have been an amateur. :dontknow:

SBB
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

The photo may simply have been a gift from 'Marx' to another person.
Marx may not have been even the photograper.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

it is / was a common practice for local area photographers to take a photo of ships and sell them to the crew members as "keep sakes" of their trip on the ship to take home or send home to loved ones -- as in "see here is the ship i was on / am on" -- i was a 27 year merchant seaman 1980 thru 2007 :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

GpSnoopy said:
Photographer's name may be Klaus Marx, but I draw a blank there. Couldn't find any "noted" photographers with the "Marx" name. Closest was a Klaus Marx that published a couple of books, one was a London, Brighton & South Coast Railway Album. Marx is actually a fairly common surname. Is there another name on the photo. I see part of "dra" left side of your bottom picture.
There is an endearment on border at bottom,i tried to get a close up but...it reads:FOR G.LE GRAUD SKINNER(skipper?)BEST WISHES-------------------------------------------HAUS KLAUS,also below endearment it sareads:Baltimore 3/1/56..as said he is NOT in any of my art/photography books,must be an unknown... :thumbsup:,thanks for input!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

GpSnoopy said:
Photographer's name may be Klaus Marx, but I draw a blank there. Couldn't find any "noted" photographers with the "Marx" name. Closest was a Klaus Marx that published a couple of books, one was a London, Brighton & South Coast Railway Album. Marx is actually a fairly common surname. Is there another name on the photo. I see part of "dra" left side of your bottom picture.
The "dra" is the end of PIEDRA...
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

Mackaydon said:
The photo may simply have been a gift from 'Marx' to another person.
Marx may not have been even the photograper.
initials are on image as well as written on lower right corner,pretty sure h.klaus created this...HH!!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

aha gift photo ! from KLAUS MARX to the "skipper " aka capt named G. LE GRAUD SKINNER *--- NOTE THE LE IN FOREIGN LANGUAGE USEAGE IS LIKE "THE" , THINK OF IT MORE LIKE --- G. LEGRAUD SKINNER * -- IF THE g IS IN FACTA"C" MIGHT BE ---- C. (CAPT) THE - GUARD SKINNER -- TRANSLATES INTO ENGLISH AS --TO THE C (CAPT) GUARD SKINNER
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

Some trivia on the name Puntra Piedra...

Punta Piedra translation...........
Rocky point¨would be just fine in English.
If you want to be literal, the translation would be "point of stones"

Punta de piedra is the name of a town. Very common in Latin America. You can find Punta de piedra in Chile, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, among other countries.

GG~
 
Upvote 0
Re: Help I.D.'ing a Great Lakes/Mercant Marine ship...

ivan salis said:
aha gift photo ! from KLAUS MARX to the "skipper " aka capt named G. LE GRAUD SKINNER *--- NOTE THE LE IN FOREIGN LANGUAGE USEAGE IS LIKE "THE" , THINK OF IT MORE LIKE --- G. LEGRAUD SKINNER * -- IF THE g IS IN FACTA"C" MIGHT BE ---- C. (CAPT) THE - GUARD SKINNER -- TRANSLATES INTO ENGLISH AS --TO THE C (CAPT) GUARD SKINNER
Makes sense...Klaus must have been a back-yard photographer...i have a freind who is a captain of a lake vessel(Port Erie) here,maybe i'll give it to him,who knows klaus maybe Klaus is known in that circle!,Thanks :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom