What's new

HELP - I need recommendations on a Finds Pouch that will work for the water

PI PETE

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
550
Reaction score
291
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Guys!

Just starting Fresh and Salt water hunting and my pouch has a little pocket with a zipper for the good stuff. The other metal stuff just floats in the pouch and I am worried about it eventually floating out or falling out while I am detecting meaning I would have to hunt the same targets. Once I get a nail up with my Pulse Induction machine I don' :help:t want it floating back out of my pouch to the bottom of the lake or shore for me to dig again?

Are there any pouches that will work in salt water and wont rust??

Thanks
 
Upvote 0
Go to Wal-Mart, go to the sporting goods section and in the camping equipment you will find fanny packs by Outdoor Products. They come in gray or black. They have a large zippered pocket with a smaller but still adequately sized outer zipperd pocket. Also is an even smaller zippered pocket that sits on the inside of the pack next to your body. If you rinse the zippers and the entire pouch out regularly, especially after every use in salt water, then they are very sturdy and will last a long time. They are $7 dollars or so and have a nice nylon webbing belt with plastic clip flasteners. In the same section you can pick up a "lashing strap" which is a nylon webbing strap with the same type fastener. Cut it and place one half on your scoop handle using zip ties and the other onto your fanny pack webbing belt then you can have your scoop drag behind you and it won't fatique your arm, it will leave a nice drag mark in the sand to help you grid better and keeps the scoop close by when you are in the water. If you cut the strap for the scoop properly you can dig with your scoop without ever having to un clip the strap holding it to your fanny pack. I tried other pouches and methods before "engineering" this one about 3 years ago and this works flawlessly. Try it, trust me you will not be disappointed. HH
 
Captain Loosechange said:
Go to Wal-Mart, go to the sporting goods section and in the camping equipment you will find fanny packs by Outdoor Products. They come in gray or black. They have a large zippered pocket with a smaller but still adequately sized outer zipperd pocket. Also is an even smaller zippered pocket that sits on the inside of the pack next to your body. If you rinse the zippers and the entire pouch out regularly, especially after every use in salt water, then they are very sturdy and will last a long time. They are $7 dollars or so and have a nice nylon webbing belt with plastic clip flasteners. In the same section you can pick up a "lashing strap" which is a nylon webbing strap with the same type fastener. Cut it and place one half on your scoop handle using zip ties and the other onto your fanny pack webbing belt then you can have your scoop drag behind you and it won't fatique your arm, it will leave a nice drag mark in the sand to help you grid better and keeps the scoop close by when you are in the water. If you cut the strap for the scoop properly you can dig with your scoop without ever having to un clip the strap holding it to your fanny pack. I tried other pouches and methods before "engineering" this one about 3 years ago and this works flawlessly. Try it, trust me you will not be disappointed. HH

Sounds awesome... but they say that a Picture is worth a 1000 words :-) So...
 
I just had this same question. I had been using a fanny pack with multiple zippered pockets and it worked well. I used one pocket for swimmers googles, sun block and cigarettes wrapped in 3 ziplock baggies to stay dry. The main compartment I put everything in. Would leave the zipper slightly opened so I could just slip the find into it. Nothing ever floated out.
The only thing I didnt like about using it is it did not have a mesh bottom for the sand to sift out. So I posted this question here and received several replies. I ended up with the Demarco pouch. A little pricey and I don't have room for all the stuff I would normally carry but on my morning 1 hour hunts it's pretty sweet. Here's a link to the thread I started. Good luck out there.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,405700.msg2884751.html#msg2884751
 
I got mine from John West Central Fl. It has a zippered mesh bag with 2 different pockets. One pocket for your good ring and gold finds and the other for coins ,etc. High quality.
 
Tried a bunch of different ones, even made a few, these have been perfect...... fast, cheap, easy, tough and highly reliable. They get tossed around in the water like crazy, have yet to loose anything out of one. Could easily rig to a belt if ya like to run that way also, I keep mine on the end of the scoop, works very fast for me.

a3aba8d0.jpg


3ca58c96.jpg


Made by Frabill, "leech bag" (a fishing item)
 
FooserPaul said:
Captain Loosechange said:
Go to Wal-Mart, go to the sporting goods section and in the camping equipment you will find fanny packs by Outdoor Products. They come in gray or black. They have a large zippered pocket with a smaller but still adequately sized outer zipperd pocket. Also is an even smaller zippered pocket that sits on the inside of the pack next to your body. If you rinse the zippers and the entire pouch out regularly, especially after every use in salt water, then they are very sturdy and will last a long time. They are $7 dollars or so and have a nice nylon webbing belt with plastic clip flasteners. In the same section you can pick up a "lashing strap" which is a nylon webbing strap with the same type fastener. Cut it and place one half on your scoop handle using zip ties and the other onto your fanny pack webbing belt then you can have your scoop drag behind you and it won't fatique your arm, it will leave a nice drag mark in the sand to help you grid better and keeps the scoop close by when you are in the water. If you cut the strap for the scoop properly you can dig with your scoop without ever having to un clip the strap holding it to your fanny pack. I tried other pouches and methods before "engineering" this one about 3 years ago and this works flawlessly. Try it, trust me you will not be disappointed. HH

Sounds awesome... but they say that a Picture is worth a 1000 words :-) So...
Here you go, 6000 words!!
 

Attachments

  • 100_0187.webp
    100_0187.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 569
  • 100_0188.webp
    100_0188.webp
    28.3 KB · Views: 559
  • 100_0189.webp
    100_0189.webp
    21.7 KB · Views: 561
  • 100_0190.webp
    100_0190.webp
    43.8 KB · Views: 560
  • 100_0191.webp
    100_0191.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 555
  • 100_0192.webp
    100_0192.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 553
Guys thanks for everything - I have an existing bag so I will buy the fabrill fishing bag and sew it into my existing pouch.

thanks a million for your time and effort sharing your ideas.

I like the walmart adea too - good idea to keep your digger attached to your side.
 
I came across a nylon mesh shooting bag with the flat spring closure on top.After you have the target,open the top with your hand,slip the goody in and remove your hand.I have never lost an item from it.Do a google search for "mesh shooting bags".Here is an example(not the one I have).

http://www.gamaliel.com/boballenbags/bob-allen-mesh-empties-pouch.asp
 
Kellyco 3-pocket mesh finds bag $19.99 Great bag!
 

Attachments

  • a10.webp
    a10.webp
    376.7 KB · Views: 546
I manufacture and sell a pouch that is made specifically for use in salt water. You can buy it from me via eBay or from Joe DeMarco of DeMarco Detector Sales. The current eBay item number is 330488536696. Joe's website can be found at http://demarcodetectorsales.com/html/misc accessories/Pouches.html

It might cost more than some other pouches but it's made of the best marine grade materials and includes a belt. It's also made here in Florida, not China. ~John
 

Attachments

  • bag.webp
    bag.webp
    32.9 KB · Views: 566
John (west central FL) said:
I manufacture and sell a pouch that is made specifically for use in salt water. You can buy it from me via eBay or from Joe DeMarco of DeMarco Detector Sales. The current eBay item number is 330488536696. Joe's website can be found at http://demarcodetectorsales.com/html/misc accessories/Pouches.html

It might cost more than some other pouches but it's made of the best marine grade materials and includes a belt. It's also made here in Florida, not China. ~John
That is the same type I got from John which is excellent for keeping valuables seperate in the zippered lower section.
 
John (west central FL) said:
I manufacture and sell a pouch that is made specifically for use in salt water. You can buy it from me via eBay or from Joe DeMarco of DeMarco Detector Sales. The current eBay item number is 330488536696. Joe's website can be found at http://demarcodetectorsales.com/html/misc accessories/Pouches.html

It might cost more than some other pouches but it's made of the best marine grade materials and includes a belt. It's also made here in Florida, not China. ~John

John, I like your pouch as it hides any goodies from prying eyes. It is made in the USA and not China. I thought all the members were boycotting Wal-Mart for their hiring practices and foreign goods. But some people are like the ones that cross picket lines. Shame.......... :violent1:

Also never attach the scoop to you with a tether when hunting saltwater because of undertows.
 
Sandman said:
John (west central FL) said:
I manufacture and sell a pouch that is made specifically for use in salt water. You can buy it from me via eBay or from Joe DeMarco of DeMarco Detector Sales. The current eBay item number is 330488536696. Joe's website can be found at http://demarcodetectorsales.com/html/misc accessories/Pouches.html

It might cost more than some other pouches but it's made of the best marine grade materials and includes a belt. It's also made here in Florida, not China. ~John

John, I like your pouch as it hides any goodies from prying eyes. It is made in the USA and not China. I thought all the members were boycotting Wal-Mart for their hiring practices and foreign goods. But some people are like the ones that cross picket lines. Shame.......... :violent1:

Also never attach the scoop to you with a tether when hunting saltwater because of undertows.

Ok first, I didn't know anything about the "Wal-Mart Boycott" and I don't appreciate being "shamed" about something that I was not aware of, guess I'm not in that "click", second fine boycott whoever the hell you want to, I was answering a fellows post about what to use for a pouch for water hunting and I was giving him my suggestion, I'm sure the hiring practices and foreign goods situation is no better for the companies that manufacture your metal detectors, scoops, batteries, automobile you use to get to the beach and so on so look in the mirror and "shame" that guy as well. If you had been reading my reply instead of climbing onto your allmighty soap box you would have seen that I was talking about the scoop being tethered to the pouch to "drag behind in the sand" and how it aided in gridding, of course I assumed any grown person that could read and write would know not to tether it to themselves in a body of water with a current. So I also should have put "Don't put your finds in your mouth because you could choke" in there too. I guess I should just let the "Experts" like you or should I say "know it alls like you" answer any and all questions from now on. You always give these awesome nuggets of advice, but you know I can't remember the last find worth a crap that you posted????
 
I wear swimsuits with a large cargo pocket that velcros shut on the side. Works great for me .
 
Les is right John makes a Great zippered bag for watr hunting.


Les West Central Fl said:
I got mine from John West Central Fl. It has a zippered mesh bag with 2 different pockets. One pocket for your good ring and gold finds and the other for coins ,etc. High quality.
 
Army surplus belt and M16 ammo pouch. Has a nice plastic clip to keep the top shut and keeps everything inside. Ten Bucks. Never lost anything I ever put in it. Been using it for almost 15 years. Nice size because it held 4-30 round clips and allows me to attach my scoop to the belt.
 
Harold in Fla. said:
Les is right John makes a Great zippered bag for watr hunting.


Les West Central Fl said:
I got mine from John West Central Fl. It has a zippered mesh bag with 2 different pockets. One pocket for your good ring and gold finds and the other for coins ,etc. High quality.

Both this bag and the Kellyco bag are great, and they do protect your finds, do not rust and last for years.....I prefer it over the fannypacks. I just retired a kellyco one I have had for 5 years.......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom