Help ID cannon ball

Wozza

Jul 30, 2023
Good morning and thanks for accepting me to this site
Although at present I am not a treasure hunter in the true sense of the word I am a metal worker and often I am provided with boxes of scrap metal which I look through in depth for artifacts that should be kept intact due to historical value.

Recently in a box I found what I believed was a cannon ball however I live in an industrial area in the UK and I am aware such heavy cast iron balls were often used in mills to crush chalk or whiting.

That said I have measured and weighed the ball and it is 2 pounds in weight and approx 2.4 inches in OD.

My research online seems to suggest it may be a 2 pounder solid shot cannon ball used in a Falcon cannon.
I hope you may be able to advise me on my find

Regards

cannon ball.jpg

Upvote 6

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it sure has the right stuff to be one... so I would lean to the yes.
CBG (cannon ball guy) might chime in on this as well.

By the way... Welcome To TreasureNet.

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say if you're digging through boxes for anything of historical value you're a treasure hunter. I know nothing about cannon balls but I can say it looks like it's been well taken care of(no rust). Welcome to TNet from Tennessee.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Although at present I am not a treasure hunter in the true sense of the word I am a metal worker and often I am provided with boxes of scrap metal which I look through in depth for artifacts that should be kept intact due to historical value.

Recently in a box I found what I believed was a cannon ball however I live in an industrial area in the UK and I am aware such heavy cast iron balls were often used in mills to crush chalk or whiting.

That said I have measured and weighed the ball and it is 2 pounds in weight and approx 2.4 inches in OD.

My research online seems to suggest it may be a 2 pounder solid shot cannon ball used in a Falcon cannon.

Regards

View attachment 2096491
Wozza,

Welcome to Treasure Net. While I know nothing about cannonballs beyond it would hurt to get hit by one there are numerous experts on this site who should be able to help you out. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Regards

View attachment 2096491
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread