What's new

Help id Middle East coins

Denarius

Full Member
Joined
May 18, 2012
Messages
122
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some coins from the Middle East that I've been trying to id for years but can't. Can anyone help me with them?
CIMG5609.webpCIMG5610.webpCIMG5611.webpCIMG5612.webpCIMG5613.webpCIMG5614.webpCIMG5615.webpCIMG5616.webp
 
Thanks in advance.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Mackaydon
 
The reverse of the Hadrian coin depicts Jupiter, hurling thunderbolt with right hand and holding scepter in left, in quadriga right driven by Victory; ROMA incuse on raised tablet in exergue. The legend around the obverse is one used on Hadrian coins, but whether or not this is a real coin, I have no idea.
Don....
 
I had some coin shop people (They sell a lot of Roman coins) look at it and they didn't seem to think it was a fake. They thought it was a medal. My info is that it was originally found in northern Syria. Same goes for the coin with the temple. The one with the star is supposedly from Petra, Jordan.
 
There seem to be some small differences between mine and the one in the link but that's probably because of the condition of mine. I'm guessing that the one on auction is a reproduction/fake. Or is it? They sure look the same.
Oh and thanks a lot for finding it.
 
Last edited:
I'll go way out on a limb and suggest the online object is a fake coin since the price is only $4.99 with the seller paying shipping. On the other hand it's a real medallion.
Don.....
 
I think I'm gonna figure that mine is a fake too. Any idea about the other ones?
 
Another ten-years in the making response: The small six-pointed star coin resembles a copper 'para' minted during the reign of Mahmud II (1808-1839), sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
Don in SoCal
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom