11.7 KB · Views: 556

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold should'nt tarnish like that. Most likely something else if gold colored.

If you found it near Cedar Point it could be an old token. Clean it up and show us what it is.

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
My previous description should have stated that this is a stone with "gold" flakes in it. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fastest way to find out would be to put a drop of nitric acid on one of the specks of "gold". Nitric acid will not dissolve gold, but it will dissolve the rock.

If you use this method, use extreme caution. Inhaling the fumes from nitric acid can cause bad medical problems. Also, protect your eyes. NEVER add water to acid. For dilution, ALWAYS add acid to water, slooowly.
There are gold test kits that have pre-diluted acid specifically for testing gold. Also included is a piece of unglazed tile to strike a gold mark for the test. These kits are available through prospectors' suppliers.

Upvote 0

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
It looks like possibly a silver coin. When submerged in salt water they tarnish over with all that black junk turning it into an oreo cookie. :)

So more than likely it's silver if you found it at the beach.

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
It appears to be a waterworn pebble of a metamorphic rock known as Biotite mica schist. It is fine grained and contains fine flakes of dark mica(biotite) that displays a golden sheen. You can see these flakes on all beaches and in stream beds, where they shine like gold in the sunlight.
Remember the old saying..."All that glitters is not gold"

Gold in the wild does not glitter....So when we are out in the wilds we need to think of it this way............."IF it glitters, it's not gold"

But,......It is a nice little specimen of mica schist you have there. They are a great addition to rock gardens and aquariums.

Thanks for showing us! HH

Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stewystarr said:
Thanks will try that and post my findings. Now where does one find nitric acid?

You might be able to find it at a drugstore, but you CAN find gold test kits for sale at prospector suppliers advertising in the various prospecting and THing magazines. I bought my gold test kit at Wayne's Detector Sales in OKC.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
I think that MEinWV is right. It appears to be Biotite mica schist. When compared to other pics I have found on the net that is the closest to what I have. Thanks all for your help!

Upvote 0

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
The glitter of mica willoften dissapear when viewed from an angle. On the other hand, most gold in ohio was glacial deposit so it is possible that some gold got ground into the rock by the ice.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread