What's new

help id this roman coin

chark21798

Full Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
211
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
i dont know much about roman coins. Was given to by a friend who lives in england found in garden. looks like bronze or gold. would like information on this coin please.thanks again
 

Attachments

  • mark 009.webp
    mark 009.webp
    49.9 KB · Views: 314
  • mark 010.webp
    mark 010.webp
    51.4 KB · Views: 312
Broken knee said:
Chark, IMO it looks like a Celitc gold stator! (nice coin) tell your friend to keep looking! :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
I'm afraid it's not a Celtic Stater, but a copy of a Bronze Roman coin, radiate head bust of :dontknow: possibly Antoninus pius.

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
Broken knee said:
Chark, IMO it looks like a Celitc gold stator! (nice coin) tell your friend to keep looking! :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
I'm afraid it's not a Celtic Stater, but a copy of a Bronze Roman coin, radiate head bust of :dontknow: possibly Antoninus pius.

SS

On the right tracks I think, but I'll throw this one in the mix.

If real its been extremely over cleaned - have you clean it? If real, its Bronze, as above Radiate Head which makes it an antoninanus (denomination of coin). Million dollar question - who is it meant to be? My answer is that its possibly (if not a copy like suggested), a locally issued imitation of a Gaulish Emperor in the 3rd century AD. (comtemporary imitation, so still could be ancient). The letters that would ID this are off the edge of the coin but starts IMP C????????.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks it was cleaned, she said she dug out of garden with no detector has found more waiting for them in mail. like i said dont know anything about romans looks real but not an expert. any help is good. thanks again
 
Upvote 0
definitely it is a roman from a French side of a empire. i think it is probably IMP C TETRICVS P F AVG -tetricus I
something like: PROVIDEN AVG ..could be also Clavdivs II
greetings
 
Upvote 0
LaZoOro said:
definitely it is a roman from a French side of a empire. i think it is probably IMP C TETRICVS P F AVG -tetricus I
something like: PROVIDEN AVG ..could be also Clavdivs II
greetings

I agree, its a legit bronze but way overcleaned. Probably Tetricus I like LaZoOro said. The obverse is upside down in your pic. Claudius II usually is not shown with a pointed beard like that. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks again for all your help. About what time period? mark
 
Upvote 0
You should bring your metal detector next time you visit your friend :icon_thumright: Bound to be more in the area. Neat find and good ID :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
chark21798 said:
Thanks again for all your help. About what time period? mark

As I stated circa 3rd Century AD. Tetricus 1 is AD270s, but its not a definite attribution. As I stated this period is full of contemporary immitations, in particular Tetricus was a common copy. Without the letters it is all best guess.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom